|| Chapter 4 ||

✖️Might be a long chapter, but I didn't want to cut out the end part because it's important.. You'll see, but hopefully you guys like it!!!✖️

*Isn't the gif of Newt cute? :))))))* (I think I found the one that belonged there but I kinda miss the Wattpad sign now hahaha)

"I awake to find no peace of mind
I said, how do you live as a fugitive
Down here where I cannot see so clear
I said, what do I know
Show me the right way to go
...
We're all fugitives
Look at the way we live
Down here I cannot sleep from fear no
I said which way do I turn
I forget everything I learned"

The Gladers had waited a little past sundown before they lit the fire. It was like a huge party. There were buckets being used for drums, lots of laughs and cheers, smiles all around, everyone was having fun. Here and there I would join the drummers and make a beat of my own. I talked more with the Gladers, getting used to them. A lot of them were curious about my outburst from before.

Quite frankly I was confused as well. I mean what if this Wicked actually had control over our brains? Made us all do things we didn't want to? In the back of my head, I felt like whatever their plan was supposed to be wasn't the same vision anymore. I needed to figure it out.

I walked around a lot on my own just observing everyone having fun. We may have been stuck, but everyone seems to find this as a temporary home, a place with laughs and Friends. My brother, Newt and I sat up against a log after a while when it started to die down.

"Hell of a first two days huh greenies?" Newt asked us. He grabbed a jar that was filled with some concoction, handing it to my brother. "Here, it puts some hair on your chest." I watched as he carefully lifted the jar to his lips before spitting it out quickly. Newt laughed and I did as well.

"Oh my god what is that?" He said coughing. Newt laughed taking the jar.

"I don't even know, it's Gally's recipe. It's a trade secret." I turned to watch Gally in the ring. The poor kid against him. I droned out the conversation between the two, watching the fight between Gally and the other Glader. I turned back after a minute.

"Trust me, the Maze is a dangerous place..."

"We're trapped here aren't we?"

"For the moment." He motioned for us to turn around. "But, you see those guys there by the fire? Those are the Runners. That guy in the middle there- that's Minho, the keeper of the Runners. Now every morning, those doors open and they run the Maze, mapping it...memorizing it tryin' to find a way out."

"How long have they been looking?" I asked.

"3 years."

"And they haven't found anything?"

"It's a lot easier said than done," he smiled. "Listen..." We heard creaks and other sounds coming from the other side of the walls. "Yeah? It's the Maze...Changing. It changes every night."

"How's that even possible?"

"Listen, the truth is the Runners are the only ones who know what's out there. The fastest and strongest of us all and think so too. If they don't make it back before those doors close they're stuck out there for the night, no ones ever survived a night in the Maze."

"What happens to them?"

"Well, we call them Grievers. But of course, no ones ever seen one and lived to tell about it. But they're out there...alright, that's enough questions for one night. Come on, you two are supposed to be the guests of honor," he extolled trying to get my brother up. He kept pulling away. "No, no, no, Come on let me show you around." He finally gave in and stood up. Newt had Frypan give us some bacon before leading us around.