Chapter One: Graduation

One year earlier...

Marinette's POV

It was Graduation night, everyone was nervous and eager to get out into the real world. But first we had to face graduation lock down, where the teachers lock the graduates in the school for the entire night, so they don't go to a party, get drunk, and possibly die from a car accident. It was one of the many traditions seniors had at the end of the school year.

This would be the last time that I would see Alya. She would be going to the US to travel the states, something she's always wanted to do. I was proud of her, she was making her dream come true. Since senior year started, Alya always said one quote:

"If you want your dreams to come true, the first thing you have to do is wake up."

She referenced it from one of her favourite childhood movies, "Cinderella".

I was really going to miss her. I kept telling her how I would never find another friend like her in college and she would always stop me, and tell me to live in the moment instead of rambling about the future.

As for my dream, I was already one step ahead of everyone when I applied to my dream college: IFA Paris!! (real school in Paris) It was one of the biggest fashion schools in the world and I was lucky enough to be accepted! There was only one problem; I hadn't told Alya about it yet, and I have to tell her soon before she leaves.

"Alya?" I ask and she looks up.

"Hm?' Her full attention turns to me and I look down at my hands. I began fiddling with my fingers as I tried to think of what I should say.

"I know that you keep telling me that I should apply to my dream school before it's too late..." My voice trails off. I look up to see her face fill with concern.

"But there's something I've been keeping from you." I take a deep breath. "I've been accepted into IFA Paris..." I close my eyes and wait for her response.

"Marinette! That's awesome!" Alya jumps up, taking me with her. She wraps me into a tight hug.

After Alya placed me down on the floor again, a few boys ran past us with cans of paint and brushes. They ran towards the large windows in the front of the hallway.

"How long have you known?" She asks, and I gulp. When I tell her that I've known for a while, she's going to be pissed! What am I gonna' do? Calm down, Marinette. The best thing is to tell her the truth. That way she can't be mad at you for lying, but that won't stop her for being mad period.

"At least three months." I look down, ashamed. Now's the time when Alya starts yelling. I flinch as she rests a hand on my shoulder. I open my eyes and look at her hand, then at her.

"Y-you're not mad?" I stutter. She shakes her head.

"No, I'm not mad. I completely understand. You were worried about how I would take it, so you pushed it off. I would've done the same."

I smile widely and pull her into another hug. "Thanks, Alya! I couldn't have done it without you!"

She chuckles and hugs back. "Yes you could, you just had to wake up!"

I let go and laugh. "True!"

The boys who ran past us earlier, came running back, laughing wildly. Out of the boys, I spotted Adrien and Nino. He notices me looking and smiles then waves. I do the same, and quickly turn away.

All of a sudden, I felt a nudge in my side. "Hey!" I rub the spot she nudged.

"You know what you have to do, don't you?" Alya asks, and smirks. I shake my head, confused.