Chapter ten: Skin Deep (Part Two)

Three days later...

Adrien's POV

"You should've just told her!" Plagg says, with pure annoyance. I shoot him a glare, as he gulps down his camberet.

"Do you think it's that easy?" He looks at me and tilts his tiny head to the side.

"Is it not?" He asks, licking his lips of the left over cheese.

"It's not." I respond with a sigh.

"This isn't like a movie or TV show, Plagg. You can't expect Marinette to just knock on my door, asking me to go out with her. That's pure fiction."

Just as the words left my mouth, a small knock on the door attracts my attention. I glance down at Plagg, telling him to hide silently. He nods, understanding and disappears behind a pile of books.

"There's your fictional happy ending right there." Standing up, I compose myself by brushing off my jeans and straightening my shirt.

"Don't make a sound, Plagg."

"Duly noted, now hurry! I haven't ate since the last time I ate! Which was thirty seconds ago!" He responds with a groan.

I roll my eyes as I open the door to see Marinette's small figure. She was so delicate and fragile, I felt like a giant towering over her petite frame.

"Marinette!" I chirped brightly, making her smile softly. Gosh, her smile alone can make my whole day! Keep it together, Agreste. Stop drooling over such a simple thing.

"What are you doing here?"

She looks up at me, her smile fading. My heart dropped, beginning to sink through the floor.

"Adrien, can we talk?" She asked, quietly.

"Of course." I place a hand on her shoulder. "What's up?"

"I was thinking we could go some place quiet, there's just so much noise in the boys' dorms, I can barely hear myself think."

Just as she said that, a few boys from across the hall, ran out of the showering room, wrapped in moist towels and throwing rolls of toilet paper back and forth.

I glanced down at Marinette who was blushing like crazy, and I knew she didn't want to be here any longer than she had to.

"Come on," I say to her. "Let's go to the park."

She nods. "O-okay."

I stepped back in my room, grabbed my phone off the charger and let Plagg rest in my shirt pocket, I then re-joined Marinette in the hallway.

"Ready?" I ask, once I was by her side again.

"Mhm." She nodded as we began down the hall.

I felt Plagg tug on the hem of my shirt. Glancing down at him, with a brow raised, "Yes?" I whisper quietly enough, so Marinette couldn't hear me.

"You're 'pure fiction' movie scene is happening right before your eyes." I roll my eyes back into my head, and push him back into my shirt.

-----

Once we had made it to the park, we both sat down on a bench, both remaining silent.

Say something, Adrien, she's hurting right now and the more silence that comes, the more she's going to hurt.

"So, uh, what's up?" I ask, trying to break the ice. Nice one, that's sure to get her to talk. Man, i'm such an idiot sometimes!

"Everything's fine, well, almost everything." She avoids looking at me.

"You want to talk about it?" I ask, not wanting to impose. She shrugs.

"I don't want to burden you with my silly problems."

"Marinette, you're not a burden. I like talking to you. A lot." I smile, trying to ease her.

She finally looks at me, after a few minutes of awkward silence.

"Do you know anyone by the name of Samantha Nelson?"

My face twists in disgust, making her smile. "Sadly, I do. Why?" Her smile fades and she looks away again.

"No reason, really, except she won't stop talk--" Marinette was cut off by the person standing in front of us. Samantha.

"Speak of the devil, and he shall appear." I smirk. Samantha rolls her eyes and crosses her arms across her chest.

"That's she to you." She snapped.

"I said what I meant." Samantha scoffs and looks and Marinette.

"Looks like Piggy here isn't ready for the fashion show, Friday. I guess you can't enter the competition because of your weight, what a pity." Marinette's face turns red as tears stung her eyes. I look at Samantha, my brows furrowed.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I ask angrily. She looks back at me, innocently.

"What? I didn't say anything!"

I stood up, balling my fists up. "Are you seriously making fun of her because of her weight? Are you delusional?" My voice was raised with a tone.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Adrikins!"

"Don't call me that." I hissed, releasing my fists. "And don't ever say another comment about her, ever again."

Samantha stood closer, getting in my face. "And just what are you going to do about it?"

"I might not be able to do much, but I assure you, you will regret ever talking to her."

Samantha rolled her eyes as she scoffed again. "You and what power?"

I growled lowly, staring at her. "Whatever it takes."

She opened her mouth to speak, but I stopped her before she could.

"If you think Marinette needs to lose weight, you are seriously (sorry for the language) fucked up in the head. Marinette is one of the most beautiful girls I have ever met, and I'm lucky to call her my... friend." I looked down at Marinette, who continued to cry. "She would never hurt anyone or anything, she's better than that. She treats people with respect and would never judge them by what they do." I turned back to face Samantha. "But for you, unfortunately, she should judge you by what you've done to her. No one deserves to be picked on by their appearance. Everyone is beautiful in their own way, inside and out, but you," I shook my head. "You're ugly inside and out, and that's what's pitiful."

Samantha's jaw was practically on the ground. It took a few minutes before she did anything. She stomped her foot with her heel, turned around, and stormed off. After she was out of sight, I turned back to Marinette and hugged her.

"Don't listen to her, Mari, she's just jealous."

Marinette nodded, sniffling. "Th-thank you, Adrien."

"Don't worry about it, Mar. I'm never going to let anyone hurt you, ever again."

She pulled away from the hug as she stood up beside me. We both stood in silence, as the sun set beneath the horizon, creating a beautiful sight before us. Pinks, oranges, and purples danced around the sky. Our hands were just mere inches away from one another. I wanted to hold it, and never let go. And that's when it happened, in one quick movement, she kissed me on the cheek.

"Thanks again, Adrien, you're an amazing friend." She smiled as she backed away. Our cheeks turned red, as she waved and turned around. She kissed me... Well, not on the lips, but a kiss is a kiss, and I'll take it. I know for a fact that I'm still in love with her, but is she?

------