Chapter 14

LEXA'S POV

We had been trekking the forests for 2 hours and there are no signs of Clarke. Not even a footprint.

"Octavia, it's possible Lincoln found her on the other side of the mountain. Even if we were going the right way, what makes you think she'd be there now?" I asked, a little nervous that we were being lead in the opposite direction.

"I don't know if this is the right way, nor do I know if she's there. This is better than giving a random gue-." She was cut off by a loud horn.

"What is that?" Bellamy asked quietly.

"That's a grounder horn. It calls the other scavenging grounders to one location" I whispered, trying to make out where it was coming form.

"It sounds like it's coming from over there" Octavia said, pointing to the right of us.

Before I could process, I began to break off in a sprint, ignoring the excruciating pain growing in my wounds.

For the time I was running, I couldn't feel anything. The trees flew past me unnoticed. The branches I ran into didn't slow me down. The rotting leaves beneath my feat were barely touched. I just ran, letting the adrenaline pump through my body.

The moment I saw Indra and her followers arrive at the cave, I let out cry and threw myself onto her, knocking her down, letting the streams of angry tears flow down my face.

"Why would you do this to me?!" I yelled, gripping her arms furiously.

Within moments, Nyko and Indra's second had me pried off.

"Where is Clarke? What have you done with her?" I continued.

Neither answered but instead, turned their heads to the cave slowly. From the entrance appeared Clarke who had her head hung down, looking at her feet.

I rushed over, examining her body for wounds.

"Are you okay Clarke?" I asked, feeling a sense of protection wash over me.

"You shouldn't have come" She whispered, looking up at me with swollen eyes.

I felt confused at first but then something told me I knew what was happening.

"Why have you spared Clarke?" I asked, turning around to face Nyko.

"She is doing what you have taught her. She is saving her people." Indra answered for Nyko.

"Clarke" I continued swallowing hard. "Please. You don't have to do this"

"That's what I told you. You turned around and you left. For three months I questioned how you could do that to me. Now I know. I made this choice with my head and not my heart. The duty to protect my people comes first." She said, leaning towards me and placing a small tender kiss on my cheek.

My chest turned stone cold and the ball at the back of my throat grew into a boulder. I felt Nyko's firm hands around my shoulders that were holding me still.

"Indra please." I said, trying not to let the tears at the back of my eyes creep out.

"For the time you were our ruler Lexa, you have lead us through many battles. Many hardships. Many terrible events. Ever since these Sky People have landed, those battles, those hardships, and those terrible events all seemed to get harder for us. It was time we questioned our futures. Your time has ended. Thank you. Yu gonplei ste odon (your fight is over)."

I felt Indra place her blade up to my chest, slowly piercing my skin. I let out a slight whimper and drew a breath. The past memories began to flash before my eyes. The training I was under whilst I was in the woods clan, being marked as Anya's seconds, uniting the 12 clans at 16, forming a bond with Costia who was kidnapped by the Ice Nation and beheaded in front of me, meeting Clarke, feeling Clarke...

I was interrupted by Indra's laughter. To my surprise, as I opened my eyes, I saw Indra retreat her weapon. To the cave, I saw Bellamy who was cradling Clarke. She was wiping away the continuous streak of tears falling down her cheek.

"Do you really think I'd kill you?" Indra whispered in my ear.

I felt Nyko's hands slowly loosen and he let go of me, pushing me forward.

"If I ever kill you, you'd never have to live with the one thing that has hurt you the most. Clarke." Indra continued, pointing towards Clarke who was now red with anger.

"So you were never going to kill me?" I asked, straightening my back to make myself look strong.

"That would depend on Clarke" Bellamy said, starting to put the situation together. "So this whole time, you didn't care about fighting with us...you knew that Clarke would want to stop it somehow. You knew she would do this if she knew that all you wanted was Lexa."

"Yes, that is why were fighting with you. No, I was not sure if Clarke would sacrifice Lexa. But I did know that if Clarke did, It would ruin Lexa forever." Indra said sternly.

"How could you do this to me? It's so cruel" Clarke jumped in, lurching forward at Indra. "You should have just killed me!"

"If I killed you, I would be starting a bigger war with your people. Nobody died today. There is no reason to fight anymore. We are done here." Indra snapped, pushing Clarke back.

The grounders began to retreat back down the other side of the mountain, returning back to their camp. Bellamy and Octavia turned back also, leaving Clarke huddled against the cave alone.