Day Thirteen

I must say before I continue further in this journal entry, that today is actually day 14 of my travels. It is of my lack of time and motivation yesterday to return to my writings and catalog my observations of the day.

I had almost lost my will to carry on with this bloody book, and maybe, after my recollection of yesterday, you will understand why.

The sunrise is one of the most promising things I have seen as of late. The fire had gone out just recently, as I notice the charred wood is still warm. I pack my belongings and take down the tent, but leave the materials there in a pile, for lack of any reason to move it.

My stomach urges me to the water with my trident, in hopes of a good catch. To my surprise, I manage to snatch three small fish in one jab. With great pleasure, I coax the fire back to life and do a quick charring of my catch. They aren't much for a meal, but they can tide me over until I reach Sendaar's clan.

I am, with no doubt, getting very close to reaching my destination. I have been flying close to three days now, and I can sense that I am nearing a close to my journey in the Volcanic Isles. The feeling of completing this mission is like a heavy burden being lifted off my shoulders. I am one step closer in getting to the Spires and meeting this mysterious friend Asha had spoken to me about.

Anxious, I am quick to take off, just barely putting out the fire that still burned with a fishy smell due to my cooking. The breeze is warm and salty, just as one would imagine it to be in a saltwater terrain.

'All is calm, and all is quiet this morning,' I think to myself, 'far too quiet, actually. I know 'tis early in the morning, but I would at least expect some seagulls cawing or perhaps a few early risers, but none are present.'

I push the thought aside and just enjoy the scenery. I'm not but flying for a half an hour when I suddenly hear wing beats behind me. 'Odd, I don't recall the pterosaurs this loud when they fly...'

SMACK!

There I go. My heart flutters, tears in my eyes, and every muscle in my body is in shock- and pain, mind you.

My wings, they feel forever locked by my side, unable to move them. Oh, how my life passes before my eyes. 'Wow, my life wasn't that interesting,' are my second-to-final thoughts as I yawn at the past flashing through my brain. 'What a terrible bore I must have been.'

The motivation that keeps me in the air is the ocean with pointy rocks protruding from its depths. I let out a high-pitched bird scree as my wings fumble outwards to catch me from certain death.

And just to clarify, I do not scream like a girl. Not under any circumstances have I done such a thing. The bird call I was so graciously given by my mother is just a few octaves higher than one would expect.

"Son of an avocado what was that??" Still caught in surprise, I look to see who is my assailant.

"A manticore."

My breathing is short, and I nearly faint. I'm not sure if I am in awe of the creature, or I am plainly scared to death of it.

"Where do you think you're going," voice deep, like a tuba, it glares maliciously at me.

I can feel my skin crawl. No answer comes from me.

The vile, odorous breath of blood - and I think onions - reaches my nose. "I asked you a question, boy!" A stinger the size of my head twitches with agitation.

Did I ever mention I hate bullies? Well, I do, and this guy is really starting to come off like one, if he hadn't already before.

"That's none of your concern." My face strains itself to keep the surprise off it. I can't believe how harsh I sounded, but I just went with it. "Out of my way, manticore."