Day Twenty-Three

The morning is calm; everything is quiet. A gentle breeze welcomes me to this strange new realm, stroking my green feather mane. The colorful slate blue sky slowly begins to brighten as the stars fade away to make room for the sun. My thoughts are on my dead friend and how he sacrificed so much for us to escape. Who knows what will happen to his friends now that he isn't there to protect them. This is the reason why we must stop this war before it begins; this is why we must join the fight.

I look down from the plateau we arrived on to watch the long grass sway in the wind. Updrafts and tunnels of hard blowing wind can be seen in action as stray leaves blow around in the sky like airships. ''Tis amazing how those leaves float around like that. They truly look like the ships that travel in the sky, like the ones I've only read 'bout. That one over there looks exactly like an airship!' I watch in awe as the leaf slowly floats closer. 'Quite amazing how 'tis still headed this way without even being the slightest bit wavered by the wind. Oh, wait, that's no leaf.'

I step away from the edge of the plateau cautiously and return to our camp, which is only about twenty feet away from where I now stand. Sendaar is already up watching the object inch its way closer to us. "It shouldn't be too long before they reach us. Best start packing up camp." The pyroraptin hops over to his makeshift bed of leaves and soft moss and starts to collect any belongings he may have left scattered about.

Since we had lost our gear during the first time being captured, we've had to improvise with the nature surrounding us. I helped of course, supplying us with some moss and large leaves to use as blankets. Hotaru sort of stared at me strangely while I grew plants just by shaking my hands of the dust like substance, but he didn't say anything.

"Who are they? What are they?" I ask fervently, excited and curious yet worried at the same time. I follow Sendaar around the camp, helping him gather up our equipment- whatever we have left after our troublesome journey.

"All in good time, Enoki. We best wake up your friend," the raptin pats me on the side looking down to where Hotaru lies. I nod in agreement, wondering what the best way would be to wake the dragon.

Afraid I'm going to burn myself, I grab a stick and cover the end with moss. Slowly, I reach over to him, nudging him ever so gently. Nothing. "Psst," I pester him further with the stick. Still, he lays peacefully sleeping.

"Hey, use this." Sendaar smirks, holding the canister of water.

"Sendaar! He's a lava dragon. You don't do that to one who lives in lava." I look at him in a scolding way. The smile doesn't leave his face as he puts the canteen into his bag, snickering. I crack a smile, shaking my head with humorous disapproval.

The blip is closer now, and I can make out the distinct features of a Class V Cloud Cruiser. Enthusiasm flows through my veins, seeing one of the most extravagant airships in the air flying towards us. I now start jabbing at Hotaru, agitated that he won't wake up. I want to go check out the Cloud Cruiser.

Finally, he hisses, opening his eyes to reveal slits. "What." He grates, looking at me in the most irritated fashion.

"Someone is coming," I reply bluntly.

"Good or bad?"

"I'm unsure."

The propeller can now be heard from our camp. It pitter putters its way toward us in all its glory. The balloon that holds this mechanical steampunk art up in the air is held down by multiple ropes, creating a cloud shape-hence it's name, the Cloud Cruiser. I've heard so much about these airships from books that I'm rather a big fan.

"Looks like a bucket of bolts to me," Hotaru sniffs.

I turn in shock. "The Class V is one of the fastest airships out there. It can go a steady eighty miles per hour at top speed; you can't do much better than that." My hands move all over the camp, double checking the area for my items all the while defending the integrity of the ship.