Day Nineteen

"I can't believe you agreed to this!" Sendaar roars as loud as he dares. Two guards are stationed outside our tent and check in on us every twenty minutes or so. The pyroraptin paces the floor and flicks his tail nervously.

"He did what he had to, Sen. There really wasn't much of a choice. It was for our sake after all." Naz steps forward, giving me a reassuring smile.

Sendaar continues to pace and heaves a sigh. "I know, I know. It's just that I can't believe it's come to this." His face droops as he slides into one of the wooden weaved chairs given to us by Aaryan. A clawed hand covers his face in stress as one of its fingers tap his forehead.

"So, what are we going to do?" Namazzi strides toward me in a slow gait, hoping for answers. I never did take a moment to admire the colors that blend so well in Naz's scales. Deep purples, exotic blues, sea greens: all of which fade into one another to almost make an illusion of an ocean itself wavering on the kelpie's body.

I shook my head, "The only thing we can really do. We will-" My ears perk forward during my pause. Rapidly, I scuttle over to my desk and begin to write. The others take this as a cue to rush over to the other side and take papers and sort them.

The two guards barge through our tent door and look around. My back is to them, but I can see their shadows dancing on the wall. A feeling of someone peering over my shoulder begins to overcome me. Heat emanates from behind me as a scrawny wolfwyre peers over my shoulder.

"The Overseer wishes to evaluate your progress." He hisses as he slowly grabs the papers from under my pencil with his long and unkempt nails scratching at the parchment. A nervous drop of sweat forms at the top of my forehead, but I dare let it show. I simply nod. The wolfwyre stalks to the tent door. He looks us once over and grunts, leaving us to ourselves.

"That was too close," Sendaar breathes irritably.

I shake my head slowly. "We are getting out of here, and soon." Marching my tail over to the long table in the center of the room, I grab a long piece of paper and roll it dramatically over the table top. I'm quite pleased with how it unravels. Snatching my pencil out from behind my ear where I left it after the wolfwyre wandered out, I begin to draw out a plan.

"Ok, so we know that there are three sentry towers set up around the camp. We also know that Krah, Aaryan's chilly pet, likes to do aerial surveyance until four, when the sun starts to show its face. We 'ave 'bout a fifteen to twenty minute window 'till we lose our cover."

"What about the two guards outside our door? They don't change shifts until high noon?"

"Y'er absolutely right, Sendaar. That's why we shall exit through one of the side panels of the tent. 'Tis just cheap fabric that I can rip with my claws. We'll cut out way out of here on the left panels, away from Aaryan's view in his quarters."

"And what if one of guards sees us? There's no way out of getting spotted." Sendaar said, playing the devil's advocate with me.

A take a step back and look at the schematics of the plan. I squint and take a deep breath. "We will go to plan B." Sendaar goes to speak, but I interrupt, "Which will involve us knocking down that sentry tower." Pointing at the drawing of the tower closest to us and the shoreline, I get a satisfactory Aha from the raptin. "That will cause a big 'nuff disruption in the armory tent here," I again point at another drawing and continue, "If we hit the correct support beams, the sentry tower will fall directly on top of the other tower, d'stroying all hopes of them retaliating."