Chapter Nine

Delilah's Point Of View

"Hey, I'm here to see...my mom." I mumbled at the front desk of the institute my mother had placed herself in many years ago.

"I know sweetheart." Said the familiar lady with bouncy dark hair, she looked as if she was at least forty, she owned a few wrinkles and little streaks of grey between her strands but she was beautiful, her eyes smiled as she handed me a clipboard so I could sign in.

"How's she doing today, is she alright?" I asked softly not making eye contact as I signed my name down on the sheet before me.

"Yeah, honey she's okay. You can go ahead." She smiled after I slid the clipboard towards her and then smiled sweetly as I brushed my hair from my face.

My feet dragged down the long passage of the mental institution, white walls surrounded me and the smell of medicine lingered in the air, a smell I had only smelt on the 19th of every month, the institution was empty as usual, many people neglected their sick family members and refused to visit, which in my opinion was cruel but I was incapable of doing anything about it. My hands became clammy with every step I had taken, pulling myself closer towards her room, room 381 was in sight and then the light beams lighting the passage began to flicker as it did whenever I had visited this place.

My feet halted at the white painted wooden door, I reached for the nob feeling the thin layer of sweat from my hand rub off from its touch and then I trusted it open gently as I stepped inside.

My eyes watched her as she brushed her honey blonde hair with her fingers, her pretty brown sparkling eyes lit up when it had spotted me and then she smiled warmly as she lifted herself from her bed. She wore a blue patient dress that draped down to her ankles as her feet were covered in white slippers. She was once very beautiful but now make-up less as dark rings circled her eyes and her skin so dry, dull and lifeless.

"Hey Mom." I smiled as I stepped towards her and then she cautiously came closer, her arms wrapped around me as she squeezed tightly.

"Delilah." She whispered while holding onto me and then she let go and walked herself back over to her bed.

"How are you today?" I asked nervously as I tied my hair up into a ponytail with the band I had wrapped around my wrist. I had always asked her that question when I had visited. My mother was schizophrenic, she had been this way all her life but as the years had passed her illness had progressed, worsening a little everyday. It was scary to think about it so I brushed it off as I waited for her to answer, which took her a while but she finally did.

"Why would you ask me that question?" Her face turned curious as her eyes had shown that she was defensive. I knew I had to keep calm and not upset her.

"It's a beautiful day, I was wondering if you were enjoying it, that's all." I said smiling as I shrugged my shoulders and then her face lit up.

"Of cause!" Her smile appeared out of nowhere, a smile that was as bright as the sun, "it's beautiful outside!" She said pulling herself up in a hurry and then rushed over to the window to gaze at the day for a moment longer.

My eyes scanned her bedside table and noticed small bits of tablet ashes scattered on the surface but then I pulled my head to see her as she had spoken, still stuck to the window.

"Do you hear that?" She asked swinging her head to look into my eyes, hers was fearful as they stared at me. I had not heard a thing but she was sure that she had so I played along, trying not to freak her out or make her feel as if she was crazy even though she was.

"Yes, I do." I nodded and then it had hit me. For some reason my mother wasn't taking her medication anymore, which would explain the crushed up tablets.