Chapter Fifteen

Vickrim's Point Of View

Eight years earlier

Cigarettes.

Tiny little white cylinder sticks of pure addiction, it's nicotine center was like a sirens song, calling you in to have just one more drag, just one more puff but it's never the last one.

"Hey, Vickrim, pass the pack." I heard a voice pulling me from my thoughts, over the throbbing loud music that filled the walls, hip-hop, some real gangster shit floated in the air, I suppose the notorious B.I.G had occupied our company as I allowed the flame from my lighter to die down and then I leaned forward, reaching for the pack from the stool that neighbored me, my legs stretched out as I sat on the cold tiled floor with the couch behind me, supporting my back, keeping me upright.

I tossed the pack over to Nox who stood talking to Brittany over the kitchen counter, he seemed very interested in her conversation but I'm sure he just wanted to fuck, in fact he was the only boy in our circle of friends who didn't fuck Brittany.

It was broad daylight in Brits mother's apartment, I mean we fucking cut school the whole gang was here and of cause our parents would find out, private school's take shit so seriously, but in honesty none of us really gave a fuck.

"Vickrim, you okay man?" Nox forced my head to face him for another time, but Brody stood in his way, pouring himself a drink, blocking me from seeing Nox but that didn't stop me from responding.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I nodded once and then Lola dragged Brody by his hand, she had her flirty eyes on as he followed her to god knows where, before Nox replied after exhaling the smoke from his mouth "I'm just checking." He smirked and then Mona came strolling over to join me on the floor.

Mona had short dark hair, it was the color of mahogany wood and her eyes matched it perfectly. Her school dress was short, all the girls in our grade had short dresses but hers was slighter shorter than the rest but ironically Mona was the only virgin to walk amongst them.

"So what's your deal?" She asked wiggling closer to me, leaning her head on my shoulder.

"Why does everyone fucking assume something's wrong?" I questioned.

"Because!" She yelled and then lifted herself from me in order to make eye contact "because, you're sitting all alone by yourself on the floor. Vickrim something must be wrong."

"I like to be alone, ever thought of that?" I smirked.

"No, because I know you better." She smirked in return. "Come on, you can trust me. You know you can." Her words were like silky honey, I knew I could trust her, I just refused to discuss my personal life but Mona's voice was so persuasive, so god damn persuasive.

"It's my dad." I said simply, staring at the floor as my hair dangled.

"What about him?" She asked with concerned eyes, pulling herself closer.

"His sick, I don't think his going to make it." I said not showing emotion even though the thought of him not being here anymore had ruined me. The way the storms had ruined the calm innocence of the resting ocean.

"Don't say that, always have faith. He'll be okay." She tried to be positive but I knew deep down he wouldn't be. I could feel it in my bones.

"I guess." I replied and then she began to run her fingers through my hair, which felt oddly satisfying as I closed my eyes.

"Don't fall asleep okay?." She whispered into my ear and then a smile appeared on my face. My lips spread from the feeling of her fingers massaging my scalp and in that moment, all I felt was bliss.