Chapter Three

After work, Lucy got off the Tube nearby Kensington Palace and she walked the rest of the way. Instead of going through the front doors of the tourist attraction, which was beginning to close for the night, she walked around the side. Security waited with gates, and Lucy kept her head down as she entered. If she was a member of the royal family, she wouldn't have walked through gates but rather escorted in by a car. As she walked in, Lucy almost looked like she worked at Kensington Palace, and no one blinked an eye to her. Stopping at the security desk, she gave them her ID and name, which Harry expected her. A security guard escorted Lucy to Prince Harry's apartment, and Harry opened the door for her.

"Hello," she smiled.

"Hello," he said, somewhat tiredly and slowly.

Lucy ignored it but a sinking feeling hit her stomach. "So, what's for dinner tonight?"

"Luce, can I ask you something?"

Her eyes rolled over to him, mocking him slightly.

"I know I just did, but I'm going to ask you another thing."

"Go for it." She had taken off her coat and put her purse down on the chair near the dinner table.

"Are you breaking up with me tonight?"

Freezing, Lucy's eyes shifted over to him. Panic rose in her, pumping through her veins with heat. Her body tensed. "No." She stepped away from him, as if to protect her heart. "Are you planning on breaking up with me?"

"No."

"Then what gave you the thought?"

"You said we needed to talk."

"We do," Lucy paused, "but I don't want our relationship to end." Some weird sounds came out of her mouth as she tried to think about what to say.

He honestly feared for the end of their relationship, when she really just meant to take it to the next level. Confusion still bled through her body, in the thought that maybe he wanted to break up with her. Three years was a long time, and perhaps he wasn't happy with how a turtle could've passed their relationship. Lucy pushed her fear back inside of her; perhaps, it was nothing.

"Good, because I have to say something to you."

Lucy would've preferred to speak first, but Harry held such a serious tone that she didn't try to fight it. "Please, go ahead, Harry." She prepared herself for whatever he had to say, finding her coat and purse on the table with her eyes. Mentally, she thought when the next Tube train would take her back to her apartment.

Harry nodded, almost hesitating. "Lucy...." He seemed to have lost his voice.

She tried to help him along, "Harry...."

Opening and closing his mouth, his pale skin got lighter, and she swore he was beginning to sweat. Lucy had only ever seen him like this when he practiced speaking in front of large crowds. He never liked it, though he had years of training.

In the end, the words just spilled out. "Lucy, I love you."

Relief flooded through him. His insides didn't feel like they were about to explode, and his stomach didn't feel the need to hurl. Clamminess didn't brush his skin. Harry's breathing started to return to normal. Then his eyes turned up to Lucy, and he couldn't read her face. He hoped it wasn't panic but there wasn't happiness. It was the first time her face had ever been in shock to him. Usually, if there was a shock situation, it was anger and then sadness. But Lucy formed none of those emotions.

"That's what I wanted to speak to you about," she said.

Like that, Harry got scared again. He gave his heart to her, and she could do whatever she wanted with it. Swallowing, he accepted whatever came next.

"Harry, I love you too."

Immense happiness that erupted in Harry, and it came out through a smile. Some other words thought to leave his mouth, but he gave nothing else away. The grin came and stayed, and then it was returned by Lucy, who honestly felt the same way about him.

Lucy hadn't wanted to leave, for however long because it wouldn't have only been a week, without telling him that she loved him. A long time ago, after Harry had been injured, he said that he loved her while laying on his deathbed. Neither of them had spoken about in since. This was different now, because they had gotten to know and love each other. You didn't just spend three years with a person unless you cared about them. She wanted to know that she loved him. He still felt the same way.

The feeling had grown on Lucy, like their friendship. Though, when younger and more innocent, she had a crush on Prince Harry, this had dissipated as she got older and more things happened to her. When she met Harry, as he worked under and then beside her in Africa teaching children, there was friendship that blossomed into something more. She had never gone out looking for Prince Harry or him as a husband. It was meant to be a friendship. And that was what it remained to this day, a friendship with stronger feelings now. She started to get them in Africa, in the heat and blaze of the sun. Then they grew strong as went to England. That month off was good for both of them, when they could each grow. However, the feelings didn't just go away. Now, after three years, when Lucy had felt this way for some time, she was able to express it. There was no push from outside forces but rather the respect they had for one another.

Harry leaned forward and kissed her on the lips, enjoying touching her again. Lucy giggled under the kisses, as he took his time to be cute. Harry broke away. "Are you free tomorrow night?"

"We have a few more hours now."

Laughing, he agreed. "But are you?"

"Can't get enough of me?"

"Wear something nice tomorrow night."

"That's concerning."

"Are you free?"

"My curiosity has certainly peaked."

"You won't be disappointed." Harry kissed her on the nose and took her by the hand, leading her into the kitchen. "Now, let's see what I made for you for supper."

"You made dinner?"

Harry turned around and smiled sweetly. "Let's see what they cooked for us for supper," he agreed.