Chapter Thirty-Three

It was a week before Christmas when Lucy got a call. Harry and her had been lounging around during the day as it moved into night. When she received the call, she had been half-laying on top of him, with his arm curled around her body. Lucy had decided to introduce Harry to many Christmas movies, even though most of them weren't good.

"Hello," Lucy said into the cell phone.

Harry put the movie on pause but doubted they would miss anything.

Lucy had grown tense and then she sat up. His arm fell off of her, and his eyes watched her. Back to him, Lucy stared at the white curtains. Harry's fingertips ran along her back, rubbing slightly in circle motions. With her tenseness, sometimes it was about nothing. Her body was just naturally tense. Then there were times where it was necessary. With how well things were going recently, perhaps it was time for something terrible. Lucy ended the call and put the phone down.

Laying back, Lucy rested on top of Harry more. "Who was that?"

"My cousin's husband," Lucy answered. "We have plans tonight."

"So suddenly?"

Her eyes came up to him, and she nodded. "It's another girl for that side of the family."

Harry laughed. "We're going to go see the baby?"

"Yeah, they had the baby up here and my cousin wants to know if I want to come see."

Leaning back into the sofa, Harry thought about it. His fingers trailed along Lucy's shoulder blade. "Luce, is this for a public reason?"

"You would have to think so, would you?" she asked. "Yeah, I think so. It's not for them, though. She wouldn't sell me out, not her above anyone else. She wouldn't sell me out." She repeated this to herself, as if to make her believe. "I think she's doing this for me, Harry."

"Why?"

"We know what the tabloids having been saying about me: I hate children. All children are terrible."

Harry held her lightly. "We know you like children." Lucy tensed again; Harry immediately noticed. "You like children, Lucy," he said it slowly. "I know this-- you know this-- we met in Africa. You were teaching children."

"You're right," she said hesitantly. "We met in Africa, while I was teaching children." Her eyes were lost on the couch.

Harry asked, "Do you like children?"

"Um... well, I do, but I don't like some kids. You know, because they're annoying."

"They're annoying?"

"I was teaching in Africa for a reason."

Harry tensed now. As if the world was crashing down upon him, he wanted to choose his words carefully. Lucy looked the other way, but he felt how tense she was. With three years of dating under their belt, children hadn't been brought up. There had been the mentions of Harry loving children and his favorite charity events and they met in Africa and were teaching children, but never had the question crossed their minds to ask.

"Lucy, do you want children?" he asked.

"I have to be in a good place, Harry," Lucy answered. "I have to have my partner by my side. I'm not going to raise a child by myself. I need to know they'll stay with me."

His chest shuddered. "But, do you personally want children?"

Lucy paused. "I guess."

Harry didn't like that answer and he went about it slowly. There was no point to panic. Lucy was willing to have children, but she didn't sound enthused about it. Harry had known some women in his time who took the children thing nonchalantly. However, all the girls Harry had known in his lifetime personally were more than willing to have whatever future he wanted. He knew that wasn't Lucy but he thought this part was a done deal. 

"Lucy," Harry began, "it's just that you make children sound like a chore or a hassle, like it's something you have to do with your life, not something that you want to do. It's beautiful, I think, and a happy experience for all." Lucy jerked slightly but didn't make a comment. "And I want that experience with you."

Stilling, Lucy had the confidence to look back at him. "You want that life with me?"

"Yes."

Lucy kissed him on the lips and then backed away. "Harry, I want a life with you, but it's not going to be how you plan it. We don't get to plan our future. Shit happens." She held his hand. "As for the experience is beautiful, it's also incredibly messy and loud. Some of it is just disgusting."

"I'm willing to do it with you."

"Thank you for that."

Glancing at the clock, Lucy gave Harry another kiss and then got off of him. It was time to go. Both of them dressed in better and warmer clothes before heading out. The hospital her cousin was at was ten minutes away, and Lucy managed to lead the paparazzi to the other side of town before going to the hospital. After parking, the couple, in their undercover outfits, went in and to Lucy's cousin's room.

The newborn girl was held by Lucy's cousin, who sat in the bed. The child was almost large for a newborn, apparently having the height of the Smith's. Her cousin's eyes brightened when Lucy and Harry came in. Her husband immediately stood and shook hands with Harry as Lucy crept over to the side of her cousin and the sleeping baby. Harry managed to catch a glimpse of the newborn, to see peace and softness about its pink skin.

Harry watched Lucy, and he couldn't understand still. His mind didn't wrap around the idea. Lucy was good with children, he had seen it. She was good with all of ages. They loved her. How was it possible for Lucy not to like children? How was it possible that Lucy might not want her own children? Because of the three years of dating, Harry thought he had this all figured out with her. Now, it seemed like they were back at square one as they got to know each other again.

"Watch her head," Lucy's cousin advised. Lucy did as told and was careful of the neck of the baby.

The newborn fit so easily into Lucy's arm, like she was a natural. Her eyes were lit up as she looked at the child. Lucy was relaxed. This managed to make Harry's mind spin more.

"The girls are here," the husband of Lucy's cousin said. "I'll go pick them up at the front desk."

"Harry," Lucy called, "why don't you go with him? I'm sure the girls would love to see Prince Charming again."

"Yeah." Harry tagged along with the husband.

Lucy continued to hold the baby. "I see your husband didn't get the boy he wanted."

"Nope, just girls for him," the cousin concurred. "Harry is acting weird."

Lucy pretended as if she didn't noticed.

"Did you two have a fight or something?" her cousin asked.

"You just gave birth," Lucy said. "My problems are not that big of a deal."

"Yes, I just gave birth, in the twenty-first century. I've done this before." Her hands ran over Lucy's arms. "Tell me what's bothering you."

"Harry wants children."

"Do you want children?" she asked, and then stopped. This cousin knew Lucy forever, since she was an infant. She was well aware of what Lucy's life was like. "We have less than five minutes. Tell me all."

"I don't know if I can have children," she admitted.

Her cousin stopped. "You haven't told Harry?"

She laughed slightly. "No, because it's a fear of mine. I never went to the doctor but I was shot eighteen times, all across my body. There were bullet wounds. Everyone was super concerned about my other organs, like my heart and lungs. I remember a doctor saying something about there being some damage but I can't remember. I wasn't really paying attention because I didn't care. I had other things to be deal with. Now, I have to think about it."

Her cousin nodded. "Are you going to get tested?"

"I'll have to."

"Are you going to tell, Harry?"

"Not yet."