Chapter Thirty-Eight

Two days later, the couple went to Rochester, Minnesota, to the Mayo Clinic. Buckingham Palace called yesterday and said since Harry was in the neighborhood, if he would like to do an event. It was going to be a private event for the most part but pictures would've been posted online.

The drive from Lucy's town to Rochester, Minnesota was about an hour and thirty minutes. It hadn't snowed since Christmas and the roads were cleaned off. Lucy had taken the paparazzi around the Twin Cities before she went south. Ever since Christmas, slowly the paparazzi outside the house tapered off. Losing them was easy now.

When they reached the massive Mayo Clinic, they had a special place to park and meet the parents as they waited outside. Since it wasn't a formal event, the couple elected to wear jeans and nice shirts. Since the terminally ill child didn't know, it was best to be kept as a surprise.

"It is nice to meet you," Harry greeted, shaking the hands of the parents.

The parents smiled sadly. They knew what was coming for their daughter and their hearts ached. Their whole bodies hurt. Yet they moved forward. The world continued to turn. And their daughter's dream was to meet Prince Harry. She would get that at least. The girl wanted to feel like a princess and Harry would give her that.

"I wish it was under different circumstances," he continued, and the parents agreed.

Lucy shook the hands of the parents too before all were led deeper into Mayo Clinic.

After moving through the massive hospital's entryway, the floors were directed upward and that was where everyone went

After moving through the massive hospital's entryway, the floors were directed upward and that was where everyone went. Harry managed to keep the tone light and happy, even after never having done it this way. Usually, he would meet at the parents briefly during the time with the child, never beforehand. With this change in schedule, it had thrown him through a loop; still, he managed to be charming.

Lucy had a little problem with it. Sometimes her face would betray her. Sometimes her voice would squeak. She wasn't used to the situation. Fear played within her as she got used to the world around her.

Many people couldn't help but watch as Prince Harry and Lucy moved down the hallway toward the child's door. Doctors and nurses poked their heads out. Harry would eventually meet them all after meeting the child.

Her parents went in first, and then there was a small squeal. The girl didn't know what was coming next, and then Harry went through the door first. There was a loud scream from the girl as Harry entered. She slammed into him and he hugged back, laughing. Eventually, she allowed him to come into the room more, showing him around the room dressed as a castle. Lucy appeared too, and she didn't say anything. When the girl found her, she fell silent. Lucy thought she might need to leave, but then the girl ran over to Lucy and hugged her too.

"You're my favorite," she whispered.

Lucy immediately blushed. "Thank you."

The girl insisted that Lucy came down to eye level and the woman did. "If I can't have him, you should."

Lucy continued to blush.

"You are perfect with him." The girl kissed Lucy on the cheek and then ran back to Harry.

Cookies and hot chocolate had been laid out for Prince Harry and the girl. Lucy was allowed to join too. The girl had dressed up in one of her favorite gowns and she wore a plastic tiara. Her plastic shoes clicked against the tile floor. Her eyes were light when she looked Harry as he sat across from her. Her legs swung back and forth, not being able to touch the ground.

"You're cute," the girl giggled under her breath at Harry.

Harry winked at the girl, which made the little girl blush. "Have you always wanted to be a princess?"

"Yeah." Her voice was high pitched. "Always."

"Do you have a favorite princess?" Lucy asked.

"I like Cinderella and Ariel and Rapunzel," she listed while eating a cookie. "I like you too, and you're real."

Lucy was taken back. "I'm not really a princess."

"You will be someday. Not now but someday. Because Prince Harry is going to marry you and you guys are going to live happily ever after. You'll live in a castle and you'll go to balls. You'll wear pretty dresses and crowns and..." she trailed off. Her eyes rested on Prince Charming. "Prince Harry, you're going to marry her, right? You're going to make her your princess? She's going to be a princess."

Harry held her hand. "Of course." A smile tugged at his lips.

The little girl turned back to Lucy. "Are you excited to be a princess? You'll be a real princess."

"I think you're a princess," Lucy responded.

She shook her head and her tiara almost came off. Even with her pink face, the girl blushed at Lucy's compliment. "You'll be a princess and you'll go to balls and you're... you're...." The little girl searched for a word. "I wish I was like you."

"You do?" Lucy arched an eyebrow, keeping her face light and happy. Oddly enough, this had been said to her before, and it always made Lucy uncomfortable. Her life wasn't magical, almost terrible half the time, yet she managed to have great moments.

"Yes. You deserve to be a princess. You're not scared of anything... and you're brave and honest. You're pretty."

That probably made Lucy blush the most.

Harry agreed. "She is beautiful."

Lucy turned to the little girl. "You're gorgeous."

Laughing, the girl ate more cookies. "You're perfect." Her eyes wandered over the room, and her parents were stationed on the other side. "I heard some people saying, Princess, that you're not pretty. Some of the other kids called you ugly and fat, but I don't think that."

"I know that."

The girl nodded. "Prince Harry chooses the prettiest. You're the prettiest; you're the best."

It was silent inside the room beside the little girl swinging in the chair. Lucy had nothing else to say at the moment, and Harry moved the conversation along. The little girl giggled again. Harry and Lucy stayed for a while, but neither of them actually wanted to go.