Chapter Five

Lucy wished dearly she had worn some sort of heels. Flatfooted, the dress looked fine but could've looked better. She had looked better when she originally met his grandmother, the Queen of England, but today wasn't her day. Lucy had work in all day, and her stomach wanted to rumble with hunger.

As they went out to the car at Kensington Palace, Lucy wanted to runaway. A black and sleek car awaited the couple. Lucy couldn't runaway; she couldn't leave him now. This was just another step. Going with Harry, the car pulled away from Kensington Palace and continued to Buckingham Palace.

The world was dark and Buckingham Palace was the light to the sky. London was lit up in beauty, but Buckingham Palace managed to shine the brightest. Lights radiated from the bottom, aimed upward to make shadows across the front of the building of white stone. The Union Jack flag was raised and bellowed in the wind. Their car pulled around to the back, where they protected from paparazzi and media. Harry exited first and extended a hand to Lucy, who took it.

Like a proper lady, Lucy kept her knees tight together as she swung out of the car, mostly after she yelled at herself to do. Nervousness took over her body in the wanting to make a good impression about Harry's family. This was the first time Lucy would meet them in a not so public form, and she expected still poise and proper. She would try her hardest to fit in and impress them.

Her arm slipped through his, as he pulled her toward the palace.

Everyone awaited inside, for Harry and for Lucy. Bodyguards looked secretive and guards glanced their way, while maids and butlers did their jobs. All eyes came to Lucy eventually, and Harry whisked her away. He had said that all employees of the British Monarchy were under confidentiality agreements, and they would speak nothing of any member of the royal family. This agreement also covered friends and relationships of members of the family. This didn't put Lucy at ease.

Lucy had stared down a gunman and had been shot. Lucy had stared down another gunman and hadn't been shot. Lucy had almost been burned alive. Those things were supposed to be scary, but nothing terrified her like this. Perhaps it wasn't because they were royals but that it was Harry's family. A part of her missed her own.

Harry seemed to feel this hesitation, fear and sadness on Lucy part, and gave her arm a tight squeeze. Their eyes met, and he nodded. His blue eyes shined. He wouldn't let her fail, not that she needed his help.

The doors opened, and Lucy entered on Harry's arm. Camilla and Charles waited in the wings, as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge came to meet the young couple at the doors  to the dining room, which was massive. Lucy tried not to gawk but the room glittered in jewels and beautiful artwork. She was used to Harry's apartment, even some parts of the Duke of Cambridge's apartment, but this was even better.

Her eyes came down and she smiled gracefully. She attempted to curtsy, a sign of respect, but William stopped it before she even really started. "Nothing has changed between us," he stated.

After a moment of talking, Harry's eyes came to her and gave her a questioning look. Lucy swallowed and was led over to Charles and Camilla, the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall. This time, Lucy succeeded at curtsying, after having practiced much in the thought of someday meeting anyone else royal. It wasn't her best work, in the slightest, but it could've been a lot worse and they had probably seen a lot worse.

Lucy wasn't sure what she expected from Charles and Camilla, but it was perhaps she thought the Duchess of Cornwall would be stuck up. Both of them were pleasant. Charles laughed and clapped Harry on the back. Lucy knew a lot about Charles, after spending three years with Harry, because Harry shared much about his father. He had once asked Lucy to meet his father, but she had declined. Perhaps it was best to meet his family members slowly than all at once, which was what she did now. Lucy regretted this choice.

Camilla made polite conversation with Lucy, asking how she liked London. Lucy liked it well. Camilla went onto ask what how it differed from Lucy's home. Since she had prepared herself for this, Lucy made many different answers. She started out with a rather funnier one, and Camilla laughed. Lucy got more serious upon the second answer, going into more detail about where she was from.

Charles entered the conversation too, and Harry moved it away from Lucy's old home. He knew this made her uncomfortable, but she didn't show it.

After a moment, they were interrupted as the Queen of England was announced, Harry's grandmother, Elizabeth. Even with her small size and kind eyes, Lucy felt scared, like she would somehow mess up in front of the Queen. Harry, beforehand, had Lucy repeatedly that it wouldn't matter to him, he still loved her. Lucy didn't deny that. But the Queen of England stood in front of her, which was impossible to deny.

Lucy expected that there would be a form bow or something, which Harry laughed at when Lucy spoke. They all greeted each other in kindness and happiness. When Elizabeth's eyes came over to Lucy, she curtsied. The Queen of England smiled at Harry's young girlfriend and invited everyone to sit down and eat.

The Queen sat at the head of the table, while Lucy was sandwiched between Harry and William on one side. Polite conversation started, and all attention ended up turning to Lucy quickly. Though kind, Lucy found it hard to breathe sometimes. The vomiting feeling rocked her stomach, and it wasn't because of danger. When questions were asked to the young American, she answered them kindly and fully. A few stories were told from her mouth. There were no questions about Lucy's past or her family, at the request of Harry.

It was a four course meal, with fine wine being served, which Lucy never drank. Her hungry stomach had subsided with the vomiting feeling, so her appetite never returned. Polite Lucy ate anyway.

"Will tells me," the Queen began, "tabloids have a picture of you two, Harry."

Harry set down his glass of wine. "Yes, but Lucy's face is unrecognizable. The wind blew at the right moment. It wasn't a good picture to begin with."

"The tabloids will be on a witch hunt." Her eyes came to Lucy. "How do you feel about this?"

"I prefer to keep our relationship in private, but we've had three years, which is more than most."

"Yes, it is," she agreed. "Will, you've been handling this. How long do you give the tabloids until they find out its Lucy?"

"Into next year," he said. "Lucy won't be attending the Remembrance Day festivities, so this will put space. She is also not overly known by the tabloids." Lucy was known for being a hero.

The Queen's eyes came over to Lucy again. "You won't be attending the Remembrance Day festivities?"

"I'll be following the festivities on the eighth and before, but I leave for the U.S. on the ninth."

"Will you be seeing family?" Charles questioned.

"Yes, my grandfather."

"Is that the reason why you return back to the U.S.?" Camilla asked.

Lucy didn't hesitate, even though Harry froze for a second. "It is the fifth anniversary of the shooting in the high school that I attended. I will be returning to show solidarity with the community."

Silence filled the room, and who was better to break it than the Queen herself. "Do you feel passionately about gun control?"

"Yes, your majesty." 

The Queen of England smiled. "Good."