Chapter Thirty-Four

It was never a smart choice to go Mall of America, the biggest mall within North America, a week before Christmas. It was jammed with many people doing last minute Christmas shopping and then just shopping in general. Usually, the mall would be easy to move around on a weekday, but with Christmas soon, everyone seemed to come here at once.

 Usually, the mall would be easy to move around on a weekday, but with Christmas soon, everyone seemed to come here at once

Harry and Lucy were once again thrown into a large mix of people. Harry was on edge, believing they would be quickly picked out of the crowd. No one cared. Lucy had taken back roads away from the Mall of America, and she moved toward it again once there were no followers. Within the mall, they were yet to be noticed.

His eyes were wide upon moving into the mall more. It was spread out with four floors of over fifty restaurants and over five-hundred-and-twenty stores. Within the mall, there was an amusement park, movie theater and an aquarium. Harry wanted to do it all, and since they got there early enough.

With not a lot of people yet arrived, Lucy led Harry into the amusement park area, and he was once again a child. With the bright lights and powered deathtraps, Harry was easily drawn to it. He was much more of a child than Lucy was, and she was thirteen years younger. His eyes trailed along the massive machines. If he was this way now, they would someday need to return to Minnesota in the summer so he might go to Valleyfair. As Lucy looked at these machines, her stomach churned. She hated these things, but she willed herself to and try.

Like a child in a grownup's body, Harry wanted to try every ride, and Lucy tried desperately. It wasn't until the sixth ride that Lucy gave up. She refused anymore roller coasters or anything too fast. Harry agreed, but they went on a few more rides, the rides Lucy could go on. She didn't want to go on that many.

Next, Lucy took Harry to one of her favorite places in the massive tourist trap: the aquarium

Next, Lucy took Harry to one of her favorite places in the massive tourist trap: the aquarium. Most people shopped, so this allowed Harry and Lucy more freedom upon rides and under the water. Harry wasn't sure what to expect, but he didn't like the Lift Bridge so the tunnels perhaps weren't this wasn't his style.

 Harry wasn't sure what to expect, but he didn't like the Lift Bridge so the tunnels perhaps weren't this wasn't his style

Sharks, turtles and colorful fish swam above him. His neck began to hurt as he stared upward. His breath was too quick in fear, and Lucy began to believe he had a claustrophobia problem that went diagnosed. Though he had flown in tiny jets, this was different. There was a top on top of him, which he couldn't escaped. His eyes continued to be in awe as he stopped moving. Sharks continued to swim over him, coming and going. Reaching up, he touched the thick glass. Another shark swam over him and he jumped back.

Lucy awaited at the side, hanging out by a turtle on the other side. The turtle's eyes rested on Harry and so did hers. Hesitantly, Harry's hand reached up again, trailing over the glass. His confidence built up again.

After moving through the aquarium, both of their stomachs grumbled for food, and if Harry was looking for a fancy place, Lucy had one for him. They were one of the first people into the doors of Twin City Grill filled with dark wood and dark lighting. Lucy stated Twin City Grill had the best steak in town. Yet it didn't accomplish what Harry's public relations wanted: a cute picture of Harry and Lucy.

 Yet it didn't accomplish what Harry's public relations wanted: a cute picture of Harry and Lucy

It was quiet within the restaurant as Lucy and Harry ate. The afternoon would be dedicated to shopping. Harry had no lack of clothes so there was doubt that either of them would actually buy anything. Once returning to London, Lucy would need to update her wardrobe, but today wasn't that day.

"Luce, you would've quiet today," Harry said.

Last night after seeing the newborn girl, Lucy had grown quiet. Yesterday, their conversation left both of them on edge with another. There hadn't been a wedge like this ever. This was what it meant to grow up, to make hard decisions. Lucy's mind looked to be continuously pondering something. Her silence came after seeing the child, after talking with her cousin.

"The roller coasters always make me sick," Lucy admitted, "but you love them."

"I would've stopped," he offered.

She laughed and shook her head. "No. You do a lot for me, Harry, being sick for a little bit is nothing."

Harry disagreed. "You think I do a lot for you, but you're incredibly independent, Luce. You certainly don't need my help. Your problems are interesting ones, I'll give you that, but it's never bad." He breathed. "You put up with a lot of shit with me."

"It's not too bad."

Both of them took another bite of their steak. Harry was the first to speak again, "Luce, about yesterday, the kids thing, I think perhaps we're thinking about it too much. We're reading too much into the situation."

Lucy almost choked on her food but swallowed. She wished he didn't bring this up, when she hadn't told him yet about perhaps fertility issues. She had an appointment the next day with the doctor for some tests. Lucy didn't wish to worry Harry about the situation. Perhaps it was nothing.

"Harry, I think we shouldn't have this conversation in public," Lucy snapped too hard. Immediately biting her lip, she sank back. "Sorry."

He swallowed.

"Harry, can we talk about this later, you know, not in public?"

"Lucy, are you hiding something from me?" he asked. "Do you just not want kids in general or is there something wrong? Do you not want kids with me?" He paused, eyes becoming wide. "You don't want kids with me because of my life? Because of... the paparazzi? Are you scared?"

"Harry, please, not now," she said. "Don't ruin today, please."

Anger pushed through Harry but he didn't say anything else. Lucy didn't want this day ruined so he wouldn't ruin it. Sourness rested on his tongue. His eyes came up to Lucy again, and she glared at him. Swallowing, he ate again. He wouldn't ruin the day.

After leaving the restaurant, Harry and Lucy went around the massive Mall of America. Shopping did happen but it wasn't as fun. Harry and Lucy kept space between them, with quick responses. Hopefully, it would be blown over in a couple days. Lucy hated being in a fight with him; Harry hated being in a fight with her. It needed to be discussed and it would be. Yet Harry knew Lucy well enough to know she hid something from him.