Chapter Twenty-Five

Harry had taken all of Sunday to teach his girlfriend. It was about proper etiquette and only being so involved. It was about being kind and genuine, trustworthy and polite. It was about making people believe you wanted to be there. Lucy wanted to be there, so she had that going for her. It was different for him because suddenly he had to teach Lucy, and she knew enough. Lucy had common sense about her. He taught her how to give a good handshake, not too hard but not flimsy. It took a few tries for Lucy, when she was more focused on other aspects of the day. Harry said with a good handshake, the Senator would know she meant business. The Senator already knew this, but it was a good step for Lucy.

The night before, Harry and her had chosen her outfit for the day. It was going to be a dress, only slightly past her knees, with a jacket that went together. She would wear heels that gave her two inches, and she would stand taller than Harry by an inch. Lucy would have a small purse, as if nothing really was inside it.

In the morning, Harry and Lucy ate breakfast and drank coffee. Both of them showered. Lucy did her hair, doing it in waves today. If normal, she would let it curl, but when she was with Harry, it was straight. The straight hair gave her look older, something she desperately used when she began dating Harry. Her makeup was natural, but she spent time on making her eyes look bigger.

Leaning against the doorway, Harry watched Lucy. "You are beautiful."

She rolled her eyes. "I have a lot of makeup on."

He laughed. "You are beautiful." Harry kissed her on the back of the head. "But you were gorgeous before."

Lucy immediately blushed.

Both of them dressed. Lucy had her dress out, and she wore minimal jewelry. The dress was a deep red, while her black heels matched her black jacket. Harry had brought over some of his suits, and he wore a gray one today with a black tie and black shoes.

Lucy drove to the Minnesota State Capitol Building in Saint Paul, Minnesota. As they had left the house that day, half of the paparazzi was already gone, probably at the State Capitol awaiting the couple's arrival. Upon reaching the Capitol, police officers held back the media as they all pushed for a picture. She never understood why the media wanted pictures so early on when Lucy and Harry hadn't even exited the car yet.

Moving into the building, Capitol Security and Saint Paul Police held back the media, who already began to scream at her. Harry was tense beside her. His fingers curled into her hand. Lucy was the one that led him through the crowd. Her head was held high.

Once inside the building, the doors closed behind them, and it was quiet. Any sound would bounce off the marble and hit them in the face again. The building was beautiful, built upward and colored magnificently. 

One of the Senator's aids waited for the couple, and then directed them to the Senator's office

One of the Senator's aids waited for the couple, and then directed them to the Senator's office. The aid spoke clearly and quickly, quick rules and adjustments, giving information for the day. As the couple moved out of the main rotunda, the hallways grew duller and longer. Officers lined each side of the hallways. They moved into one of the offices.

Four cameras waited inside the office, one from every news station in Minnesota. This was expected. Harry and Lucy entered the office, and the female Senator came forward. Harry and Lucy let go of hands. The Senator shook Lucy's hand first, speaking with her as Harry waited in the wings. If Harry was with anyone above him in position with his family, Harry's hand would be shaken second. If Lucy was with Harry on royal arraignments, her hand would be shaken second. However, Harry's hand got shaken second with a brief word.

The cameras flashed their bright lights. Harry and the Senator were used to it. Lucy blinked away the burning dots that danced in her vision. The Senator directed Lucy and Harry into another room, away from the cameras.

"Thank you for coming," the Senator said, walking around the desk and sitting down in her large chair.

An aid placed coffee and water in front of Harry and Lucy as they sat in the Senator's office. Going the extra mile, an aid placed bags of tea and hot water on the side in case Harry wanted some. After three years of living in London, Lucy still didn't drink tea.

"I realize this must be a trying time for you, Miss Smith."

"Call me Lucy, please." She sipped on water and sat straight in her chair.

"Thank you." Her brown eyes wandered over to Harry. "Thank you for coming as well, your highness." Pushing a large binder toward Lucy, she explained, "I next week will be presenting Congress with a new law for gun control. I have the majority of democratic votes in the Senate and I am working with the House now.

"However, I wish to tell you now, Lucy, this bill isn't strict and it will receive a lot of backlash. This takes into effect only tighten the laws on people who cannot get guns and then background checks. I know it is not what your hope would be, but it is the best we can do for now."

"I understand." It pained Lucy to say it. "I know this all you can do now. I know that tightening the laws are all you can do. It is probably all we can do for my time. You can't change these laws over night. God knows people will revolt." Lucy rolled her eyes. "We have to change how people look at guns. We have to change how people run to guns, who think that guns will solve all problems. Guns solve nothing."

"I couldn't agree more." She had her own binder in front of her. "I have a niece that went to that school. Her younger sister goes there now. She was in tenth grade when she was shot; she could never go back." The Senator paused. "She doesn't like to speak about. Really, she pretends it never happened. Then on the twelfth, when you were there, she was there, Lucy, and she started speaking about it again. She said if you could do it, she could do it. You're a real hero to her."

Lucy disagreed.

"You are," the Senator repeated. "You're a hero, to many people, forever. You will be remembered."