Chapter Thirty-Two

Upon returning back to the Twin Cities, Lucy went around, coming up from the south when she came from the north, and pulled into the driveway of the house. Paparazzi all stood profoundly confused upon their return. The couple had yet to be found out, yet to be chased down, but still came back. Either these two were idiots or trying to make a point.

Snow had taken over the southern half of the state, covering every surface. The snow continued to fall, with the gray background of the never ending cloud cover. It was normal to Harry again, except for the snow. There was too much snow for him, and it crunched underneath his shoes. Sometimes it was warm during the day, going above freezing, and then the temperature would fall during the night. The snow would freeze again. The weather did this for a  week, and then it was just cold constantly for the next week.

The couple had a regular schedule with the paparazzi. Harry would go out for the paper in the morning. Lucy would go out for the mail in the afternoon. Sometime during the day, they would leave, go out to eat or go shopping. It would be quick, with small photo ops here and there. Either they were together, or it was Lucy. Harry chose to not go out sometimes, and because of this, less paparazzi followed her, as if he would sneak out.

"What's the occasion?" Lucy asked as Harry sat across the table at a busy restaurant in downtown Minneapolis.

"Manny's is one of the best restaurants in Minnesota," Harry answered, only briefly looking from his menu.

"It's incredibly expensive, so let me ask again: what's the occasion?"

The blinds had been pulled quickly after paparazzi took pictures of them within the restaurant. The reservation had been made but the establishment did not realize who was coming. It wasn't until they showed up that the restaurant was turned on its head. Lucy and Harry were moved to a more private table in the back.

Harry was unable to find words.

Lucy glanced around and then leaned in. With a table far away, no one was near enough to hear. "Please tell me this isn't because I had sex with you."

Choking on his wine, he set down the glass. "No."

"Good."

That was the first night they had sex, and it was the last night they had sex. It was enjoyable for both of them; they certainly had their fun. Yet it was awkward, like sex for the first time in every relationship. They needed to figure out how it worked with them, what they liked and what they hated. There needed to be an understanding. An understanding was met by both of them. However, sex wasn't a necessity.

"A special occasion?" she edged.

"Why does there need to be a special occasion?" Harry questioned.

"Because this isn't normal."

"Luce, why can't I just do something nice for you? Why can't this just be a normal date night?"

Lucy leaned across the table. "A cart is pushed around by waiters so you can see what you're ordering. There is a live lobster on the cart."

Harry laughed. "You might want to get used to it."

Shaking her head, she leaned back. "The live lobster looks scared."

"Will you turn vegan now?"

"I'll stay away from shellfish."

Her eyes glossed over the menu, looking at the prices. Harry said money wasn't an issue, and she could believe that coming from him. With her grandfather recently dying, money wasn't issue for her either. It didn't meant she wanted to see a live lobster in front of her and then pick to eat it, so the lobster would be made to perfection. She just stared into the live lobster's eyes. 

Lucy knew Harry did this to be nice, to show her how much he loved her, to shower her with this. Yet, she hated it. She had her own money, so for Harry to shower her in the "royal" lifestyles wasn't needed. Even if she didn't have money, she wouldn't enjoy this. Lucy liked being home with Harry, lounging around with Harry, just breathing with Harry. These posh moments weren't really her style, and she half expected them not to be his.

"Harry," Lucy leaned across the table, "really, what are we doing here?"

Sighing, he glanced around quickly and then returned his gaze to her. "PR suggested we have a nice date night at a classy restaurant with some of the best food of the state." He met her gaze. "Also, we apparently weren't getting out enough for the past week. Paparazzi were growing restless."

"I bet they were."

"With the lack events I'm doing in the U.K., I'm expected to still go out. It is the publicity that keeps my family in business. If I'm not seen in the public eye, I--"

"I get it, Harry."

Lucy settled back into the chair. Anger crept through her veins but she understood. If she had taken the time before, she would've realized it then. She knew Harry well enough to know that he didn't like this more than anyone else. He wouldn't go out of his way to be in the public eye. However, Lucy wasn't shying away from the camera currently. Perhaps the motto "Go big or go home" was to be in order.

His eyes watched her, and she met his gaze. Her lips pulled back into a mysterious smile. Harry didn't know what was going on in Lucy's head, but she wasn't stupid. He smiled too.

After eating dinner, Harry and Lucy returned to the house. Both changed into something more comfortable and then returned outside. Harry wore several layers while Lucy found two layers to be enough. After searching for a few moments, Lucy found the Christmas lights and hauled them outside. Pulling the Christmas lights apart were the worst and in the dark, it was hard to string them up. The minimal amount of Christmas lights were done, as they were out on poles and trees, just enough to light up the front yard.

The lights wouldn't win any awards, but the paparazzi got what they wanted: pictures of Harry and Lucy doing cute things together

This had been the first time Harry ever put up Christmas lights, perhaps his last. He found it fun, but it sucked taking all of them down. His eyes were lit up like a child's on Christmas morning. There was happiness. Harry had missed a lot by not having a normal life. This was one of those things. To top all of it off, Lucy threw a snowball hard at his back, hitting him squarely there. Harry let out a yelp.

Lucy glanced back at the paparazzi, pointing at them. "I didn't do it." She blamed the paparazzi.

Harry did his best to not roll his eyes but failed. Refusing to throw a snowball back, Harry tried to perfect the lights. If they were alone, Harry wouldn't be as much of a gentleman. Lucy didn't care, so she threw another at him, and then another. His eyes shot her a look, and she once again blamed the paparazzi. He still didn't throw one back. Lucy rolled her eyes and went to make sure the light fixture was correct. Harry made his move then, throwing only one snowball at her, and it ended up being not very compact. It spread across her back in flurries. Lucy glanced back with a devious smile, and Harry blushed.

The lights burned the eyes of the couple and paparazzi, glowing under the ever-coming snow. Lucy's eyes landed on Harry. There was peace.