Chapter Twenty-Eight

The air was colder up here, heavier and stronger. The wind whipped off the lake, slapping everyone in the face. Uncovered skin would quickly get burned. The sun only made it colder here, letting all the warm air fly off. Waves crashed against the rocks; mist filled the air. With the coldness here, white snow covered most surfaces, making most everything blinding.

They moved down the canal, away from the hotel. Most of their skin was covered and both wore sunglasses from the bright snow, but barely anyone was out in the canal today. Large boulders covered the sand, to defeat large waves during winter. In reach rested the canal with the closing of the lift bridge. Two concrete boardwalks stretched out to break the waves. White lighthouses rested on each concrete boardwalk.

Lucy slipped her hand into Harry's as she pulled him onto the closest concrete boardwalk

Lucy slipped her hand into Harry's as she pulled him onto the closest concrete boardwalk. The wind picked up around them, and the cold nipped at all of Harry's exposed skin, which wasn't a lot. He moved closer to her, looking for any warmth. Duluth was beautiful; Lake Superior was amazing. Harry was sure this better when it was summer; now, he hated the idea of being outside. He had been in some of the coldness extremes, but he never wanted to live there.

They reached the white lighthouse with the red top. Wind pounded around them. "Hold on," Lucy said. "We have to blend in as tourists."

Harry laughed, and for the picture, he managed to get even closer to his girlfriend. She made it quick, a few pictures with the massive Lake Superior behind them. Putting her cell phone back into her pocket, she got closer to Harry too. Warmth radiated between them. Their eyes looked across the water. They turned to their left and were able to see Wisconsin. Lucy decided she might as well take him there at some point, to put another U.S. state under his belt.

"When it's summer," Lucy began, "it's much more exciting here. People are out and about. You're not freezing your ass off."

"I can't Minnesota is like without freezing my arse off," Harry laughed. "I guess we'll have to come back during summer."

"If you want...."

Lucy grabbed his hand and led him off the concrete boardwalk. It was almost a made rush away from the cold peninsula, but Lucy didn't let him go just yet. They awaited as the Lift Bridge lifted as a large red cargo ship sailed underneath, blowing its horn. Members of the crew stood on board, looking down. In the summer, really any time it was just barely above freezing, people would wave at the ship and the members would wave back. Now, barely anyone stood on the boardwalks.

 Now, barely anyone stood on the boardwalks