Chapter Three

The crowd dispersed, leaving only us new casters standing in an awkward circle as soon as the words left Evelynn's mouth. The suddenness of the exposure rendered me shocked as fearfulness once again surfaced. It was in similar cases to others participating tonight.

 I relaxed a hair as my family gave me a wave and a friendly smile. I can do this, I can do this, I chanted as a mantra in my head. I looked towards the imposing forest ahead and thought about what I had to do. My mind whirled. Can I do this? Don't worry you can, mom said it was simple. Maybe I can do this? Ok, if I believe I can, I can.....Right?

 After a few moments, the thirteen year olds were paraded over to where Evelynn was by some of the others of our coven. I guess she was going to show us our places. Well, her and her panther. He looked us over one by one, that glancing at our leader, he walked a few paces forward.

  After being given confused looks Evelynn explained, "My familiar here is going to lead us to the spot for each of your young casters. Do not ask his name. In time, if he revels it to you, then it shall be so. Before we start I would like to say a few things.

  She paused," Your familiar is not your pet," she spat the word with venom," No animal is a pet, remember that. We are all equal. Your familiar is your equal. Be kind and patient. Do not be upset or ashamed about who you get, because you wanted something different. They will be part of you, a part of your soul, but do not be afraid. All turns out how it is destined to. Be proud, be calm," She smiled," And don't worry, fate has its way. Its quite simple of a procedure also. Your only mistake is feeling nervous in the first place. Your familiar will always find you. Worry not, young ones. Come now, your fate awaits." With a smile and nod, she started into the forest with all of us trailing soon behind.

  As the others pushed to be ahead, I stayed at the back. The panther had drifted towards the rear end of the group and pushed the stragglers into order. With a quick glance to me, he darted ahead to Evelynn. I gave little care to the look directed towards me as I had other things on my mind, but the panthers action floated in the recesses of my thoughts.

  We continued on through the wood after Evelynn.  She walked the unseen trail that only the panther seemed to know. The path was fairly even pack dirt for a ground and the plant life was sparse.  It was not a difficult thing to walk.

  After about ten minutes the black panther stopped. Flashing his eyes to Evelynn, he stepped towards a flame haired caster, Cindy. She face twisted with surprise and wariness. None of us thirteen year olds knew what to make of it.

  " Young Cindy, it has been decided by my familiar that this will be your area for the ritual. Follow him and he will guide you to the exact spot here for you," explained our coven leader.

   Cindy hesitated and with a quick glance to Evelynn, scurried with the panther out of my line of sight. After a few moments, he reappeared and led the group once again. As we walked I tried to calm my nervous by admiring the scenery.

  The many types and sized of trees blended into a beautiful swell of green. Their branches stretched upward towards the clouds, waving with the wind. The sun played peak a boo, disappearing and appearing in its strange order.  Sprouts of bush and flowers brushed gently across my clothing as I walked. The soft dirt of the trail was firm and just a tad bit slanted. It was a wonderful walk.

   There were many breaks in our walk, as the panther led others away to their destinations. Soon, as the sun slowly started it decline to slumber, only I was left. Walking had began to weigh down on me and I started to falter in my step. Minutes tick by as we left to find my place in the reserve. I began to wonder if I had none.

  Then suddenly the panther stopped, stock still, unlike with the others beforehand. His gem blue eyes stared at a spot hidden in the underbrush. My breath caught as a figure moved beyond my line of sight. The shape became clearer and I could make out a feline outline.

   A flash of white fur and a pair of frost eyes later, I gave a chuckle, realizing who the creature was. Andre stepped out of the shadows. I had forgotten about what my mom had told me and was reminded as I saw him. Evelynn also seem to have known about his coming and then had forgotten judging by the look on her face.

 The panther gave a feline growl and Andre gave an answering one in return. The panther nodded and motioned us to follow. As I glanced to Evelynn, she gave me a smile and a shooing motion with her hand. Then we were off.

  The creature led us through the forest for a couple of paces and then halted at a meadow like clearing. With a jerking motion with his large head, he gestured to the clearing. I took that as a sigh that this place was the area for me.

  Soft strands of grass and scatters of wildflowers decorated to meadow all melting together in the center into a large, old oak tree. A small trickle of a stream sounded nearby, adding to the song of the many birds. I thought this place was most perfect.

    I sat down on the green plants at the beginning of the clearing. The warm sun gently warmed me up and relaxed me a bit. Andre followed suit after me and lied down in his feline way. Looking me in the eyes, his strong voice echoed in my head.

   I told you I would come.