Chapter Four

"Yes Andre, mom told me. How are you?" I replied to the snowy cat.

  I am well, thank you. Was his reply. Pausing he spoke again," I understand this day marks your Call.

   "Yeah," I responded with a nervous laugh," that's today."

  Be calm young one. Trust in me as I say you will be fine. In any of the times I have predicted, have I led you astray?  He tilted his large head and flicked the black tip of his tail.

 "No you haven't but....Well, anything can go wrong. You can't possibly know what could happen."

   You are right. I do not know all of what could happen. I do know though, what will happen. I understand your fears and suspicions. Things may go wrong, but fate has its ways. Recall what Evelynn had said,' your familiar will always find you', and trust me it will. Worry not and do of such that feels right. Have faith in fate and be calm. All will fall as it should, young one. Worry not.

   Andre's wintery body rose from the summer grass. His lean figure stretched,corded muscles shifting and tail stiff, strait was a pin. As he relaxed himself he said,

   I came to see you off and offer luck. May you find your soul bound and be at peace. Remember to have not worry and of always to allow for happiness. With a patter of his soft padded paws, Andre darted into the underbrush with a glance over his shoulder to me. His tail waved a farewell as he left the vicinity.

  I pondered over the words he had spoke to me. Andre's advice was not unlike the ones I had been given before. After being told about three times the same things, I felt it begin to sink in.

 The now the sun had descended more down into the horizon and I knew night would soon approach. I suddenly remembered with a panic that I had to set up my camp. I scrambled for my bags and searched for the neatly packed tent from mom. After tearing everything up looking for I, I realized that I must have left it with my coven leader when I followed Andre before. I fell to my knees and placed my head in my hands.

  Breathing deeply I tried to find a solution for my problem. My mind came up with none and glanced about for an answer. A once over the surrounding area gave me nothing. As my eyes drifted closer to where I stood, they were drawn to the large tree. What a tree it was. Smooth brown bark leading into the leafy hammock of the branches. Sturdy, strong branches......seeming to have a......perfect place for me to climb.

   A plan formed inside my mind. I could climb into the branches and make a sort of branchy bed. The branches were close together and low enough to the ground that I could climb upon them. A perfect place to have my things and to sleep without worry. The foliage of the leaves were dense, and probably warm as well. My conflict had been resolved. Well the first part of it anyway.

  Tossing my luggage over my shoulder by its tan strap, I started towards the tree. Grabbing the lowest branch, I heaved myself up. I continued on until I came to my desired spot. I hung the bag on a high branch just grazing a twist of them below. They acted as a small table, an end table.

   In the center was a nest like bundle of branch. They seemed to weave into a natural platform just big enough for a human and maybe say a dog. The branches were strong and knotted, not really a place to even fall out. The twist of them also block off any drifting wind, making it the perfect warmth on this summer night.

  I pulled out my blankets that I had fortunately brought and lay a few under me, making sure to leave one or so to cover myself with. Then I unpacked my food that I had brought with me. With a water bottle, a canned fruit, and a bag of crackers I headed down the tree.

   Placing the food items on the soft soil, I cleared a place of debris. After a final sweep, I deemed it fine and stepped back, scanning the area. I spotted a bunch of twigs and tinder. Grabbing them I returned to the cleared place. There I layed the items out accordingly and made the framework of a campfire. I took a match from my pocket and struck it into flaming existence.

   Using a leaf I maneuvered the small fire under the tinder. From there I let it burn and Walla, a campfire! I could now see as the sky turned into the gloomy and bright colors of sunset dusk that other tendrils of fire smoke drifted from afar.   

 I decided to sit by the fire as the day melted into night. For a long while I sat thinking, staring into the swift flames. The smoke had died down as the fire grew, leaving only small wisps and the strong smell of burning wood. I liked the scent of the forest and the fire as it blended.

 I began to consume my makeshift dinner snack as the sun was fully set. It was gone quickly, I tried to stuff the morsels down my throat as fast as possible. I feared my throat would close completely and that thought caused me to eat the food I felt no hunger for quickly.

 I watched as the gemstone stars glowed and shined as they came into view. The sky turned pitch as I stared for a long while. I fidgeted when the pale cream of the full moon began to climb into the darkness of the night summer sky. I knew, within an hour or few the moon would crest at its throne in the center of the inky black, lighting my familiar's path to me.

   When the moon sat staring strait down to me, I knew finally, after thirteen years I would do The Call for my familiar. I was full of jitters. My hands shook, my whole body seemed to shake. A cold sweat broke out on my skin, and I began to feel a chill setting in. I moved a bit closer to the fire. As I began to prepare, my heartbeat thumped in my ears, thump, ba thump, ba thump. It was all I could hear. I felt faint and like I was soon to fall unconscious.

  I pushed through that, forcing in into the very back of my mind. I cleared my area and sat crisscross applesauce. Taking deep breaths, I started pooling in my energy. I felt my magic spark to life as the power of the full moon filled me. I knew why they had picked this day. A blue super moon was the perfect night for your power to stand strong and go far.

   My power, combined with the moons whirled as the orb began to take form. I focused on my intent and cleared my mind. I thought of what I wanted to accomplish, of my dreams. With that the wind swirled as yet again the orb grew. Almost the size of a basketball, it still grew with little strain on me. Maybe a day between practice was a good this.

  The soft breeze from before began to whip and twirl like a funnel around me and the ball of light energy continued to grow. I closed my eyes as the swirl brought up dirt and dust. Soon enough, the orb was too small to fit between my hands. Raising my hands over my head, I focused on my ball. 

 The magic strain finally became too much as the size increased to the size of a human hamster ball. The whipping wind made a barrier around me now and I could open my eyes. What I saw fill me with joy. The...my orb glowed and pulsed the color of the moon, tinged with a tinting with blue . An amazing size it was, the largest I had ever seen. Larger it got with every good thought.

  I imagined, with happiness, the orb to spread and cover over the planet to find forever friend. I felt the ball turn from a semi-solid to a type of strange gas. From then, I saw the magic move and leave to fulfill my lifelong dream.

  After the ritual, with my energy drained and the moon starting to wan, I felt exhaustion sweep over me. Stumbling, I trotted to my nest tree and fell into slumber. I dreamt of what my soon-to-be future would bring.