Chapter Five

Rossa Tigeria (Rose-a / Tie-Gear-A)

      The next day I awoke early, excited to see if my familiar had come. I was like a child on Christmas day. To my disappointment my familiar had not come last night. Climbing out of my birdlike bed, I gathered wood for a fire. I made it the same as yesterday and then consumed some pre-cooked canned food as I sat by the spirited flames. As the day passed with no sign of my familiar, I began to grow bored. With my now granted free-time I did not know what to do. Then suddenly I remembered what mom had given me. Out of my bag I retrieved a old beaten leather bound book with fancy gold lettering. The title said it all; The guide To The Soul Bound. The remainder of the day was spent reading and waiting for my familiar.

   After night had come and passed I awakened to the bright shining sun. This day was similar to the last with no sign of my familiar and reading by book. I was losing hope. The day ended fast and i started the fire. As the sky became inky, I saw less smoke from beginning fires. I knew other had found their creatures. More and more each day. I began to question when I would find mine. I had put out the call, I reasoned with myself. Still though, the worries lay.

   On the third day I had lost almost all hope for my creature. According to the book, by the second day your call had reached across the earth and signaled to your familiar. Familiars then traveled with the magic from The Call and came quickly. Quick with spell, they usually came within a day.  I pondered over that maybe my familiar was one of the few to refuse to be bonded. Though rare, very rare, that  sometimes happened.

    Night rolled around as the third day melted into the fourth. Now I have given all hope but for the tiniest sliver. Even that sliver began to fade as it became dust. I was not hungry that night and decided to just lay in my nest. The air was chill, as empty of warmth as I was feeling. Without much warmth I shivered in the cold breeze. When the time came for the fire smoke, none was left. Everyone else had found their forever friend. I cried into my blanket.

   I must have fallen asleep, because I jolted awake with a start, almost falling from the tree. The waning moon hung low in the sky, showing it was not that late at night. I shivered still, even more as the air cooled further. I looked around for the sound that had awoken me. I found nothing below me or in my nest. Then suddenly I heard the noise again, something sharp on tree's bark. I look over the source of the sound.

   Perched on a close by branch crouched a large tawny-orange, tabby housecat. Its pale mint green eyes locked on mine as I stared at her. I wondered why the creature was here. Then in my sleep muddled brain I realized something.

  "Are you my familiar?" I questioned the cat.

  To my surprise, the cat nodded enthusiasticly at me. I thought it sweet she had waited to bond to me until I gave woke and gave my ok. Deciding to ask the question I hope she knew, I spoke again.

  "What do we do now?"

  The large cat answered by batting its paw at me. I replied by simply giving the creature a confused look. Seeing this, it pointed at me with its pink, black spotted nose like a hunting hound. The answer hit me in a flash.

  I reached my arm out towards the cat. She approached closer and placed that nose into the palm of right hand. A light appeared from between us. Heat and tingles coursed from the spot she touched as the bond finalized itself. I felt her mind connect and soul twist with mine. I wondered if the old sayin was true and at that moment out hearts beat as one. The light brightened and wrapped around our bodies before disappearing. For once in my life I felt complete.   

  I replaced my hand at my side. Just then a cold stream of air rushed past us. I saw the tabby cat shiver. Patting the spot beside my I said;

  "Come here, your cold. I see that. Come sit beside me."

  The cat quickly scrambled to by side, curling into a ball by my stomach. I smiled and covered both of us in my blankets. Exhaustion suddenly swept over me. As I burrowed deeper into the nest of blankets I mumbled a question out to the cat.

  "My name is Sabella. What is yours?"

  The last I heard was a feminine voice like wind chimes in my mind saying,

           My name is Rossa Tigeria.  

    Guide To The Soul Bound

Introduction To Familiars, Soulmates and Guardians     page 1-3

 Excerpt:

   What are familiars? Well, to answer that question you have to think about animals. Animals others then humans that is. A familiar is a creature of different species that is soul bound to another different creature. A familiar is never bound to the same creature. If that happens, then the creature is not a familiar, it would be a Soulmate or Guardian. A cat cannot be a familiar to another cat.

   A Soulmate to put it simple is a creature bond to another for life that is of same or similar species. A cat cannot be Soulmate to a horse but a were creature can be bound to a human. But say if a species is compatible in a way, a dog and dragon, could be Soul Mates. They would have compatible genes and both similar in ways. Very, very rarely does this happen with Soulmates. Though in some cases if a creature has/had magic somewhere in the bloodline like a familiar or mystic creature blood a strange case will happen. A creature such as a horse and a dragon then could be able to be Soulmates. Soulmates can have some exceptions to the rules.

   A guardian is a creature bound to another creature. This is a more or less one sided bond. One creature is the protected and the other the protected. They both feel the bond, one more then the other. A familiar can be a type of guardian but not a Soulmate. A Soulmate can be a type of guardian but never a familiar.   

All of this is very confusing. The best way to start is from familiars, guardians, then Soulmates. So, into the world of familiars. 

NOTE: This mini 'book' is fictional.