20. Captain Kid

(^Surprise^)

~One Year Later~

~Henry's Point of View~

I swung open the door to the house and stumbled onto the couch. No, I wasn't hurt, I wasn't in trouble, I was just really tired. I sighed and pushed my hair back with my fingers. Doing all this work alone was hard.

"How was your day?" I hear Aubree ask as she walked into the living room smiling.

"Exhausting", I tell her.

"Do you want some pancakes?"

My head pops up and looks at Aubree with a smile. "Would you, please?"

"Of course", she laughs, "I'll be right back."

A few minutes later she walks back with a stack of three pancakes and hands them to me.

"Thank you. I love you so much", I tell her, kissing her cheek.

"Anything for you."

~

Aubree hasn't really been doing any Superhero stuff lately. We've been going to school but my grades have slipped from protecting Swellview. Aubree was already looking at colleges while I was out fighting crime. Sometimes, I was worried that we would fall apart. I mean, yes, we did live together, we saw each other everyday, mostly, but it was really hard to hang out together. I didn't know what to do anymore, I didn't realize how hard it was to be a superhero.

~

"STOP!" I yell as the man pointed his knife to the young girl. I was out, a young girl was kidnapped and I had found her.

"What are you going to do Kid Danger?" the guy asked me, he pressed his knife against the girl and she winced in pain.

"Don't hurt her!" I yelled and used my super speed to grab the knife from his hand. I untied the girl and stood her at the doorway.

"You do this way too easy Kid Danger. Captain Man always made it fun", the man grunted.

"The easy way is the safer way right now", I yell to him. "Come on, let's go, sweetie."

I grab onto the little girl and run out of the room.

When we reach safety, I stop running, "Okay, where do you live?"

"Next to the middle school", she cried. I nodded. I ran to the middle school and stopped.

"Which house?"

"T-the purple one", she said pointing to a small purple house. I smiled at her.

"Okay, you're safe now", I said and put her down on her porch. I knocked on the door and it swung open.

"Oh, baby!" a woman said and gave the little girl a tight hug. She looked up at me and smiled. "Thank you so much...Captain Man."

At that moment, my heart kinda shattered. No one's ever called me that. I was confused, but I was also honored to be called that. It only took a year, but it felt nice. I smiled at her.

"Thank you, but I'm still Kid Danger", I told the lady.

"Not to me you aren't. You saved my daughter. Everyone should trust you."

"It's nothing, really. You're welcome, it is my job to protect the citizens of Swellview. I should go", I tell her and she nods. She smiled at me.

"Okay, have a nice night!"

"You too, ma'am!" I say and wave goodbye.

~

I walk into my room and lay down and look up at my ceiling. Today was good. Aubree walked in and smiled at me.

"What's up?" she asks me and jumped onto my bed.

"Nothing. Someone called me Captain Man today", I tell her and wrap her in my arms.

"Really?! That's so sweet!" Aubree said snuggling into me. She lied her head down on my chest and smiled.

"Yeah, today was nice. I'm super tired though", I say as I yawn.

"Well, Superheroes still need super sleep", she laughed. I laughed at her.

"You are so cheesy sometimes."

"Like cheddar", she joked. We laughed for a little and I pulled her up to my face and kissed her.

"Sleep with me tonight?" I asked her. She smiled at me and nodded.

"I'd love to", she said and lied down next to me. "Oh, I forgot to tell you, Olivia has her first day of preschool tomorrow."

"Awesome. And it's school again for us", I sigh.

"Well, if you actually make it to your classes."

"I need to. I can't go to college if I don't graduate."

"I know you'll do it."

"I love you so much. You're one of the only people who believe in me."

"I love you too", she says and kisses my cheek.

We close our eyes and fall asleep slowly.

~

First day back after vacation. If you're wondering, Aubree and I are 16 and are in our sophomore year of high school.

"Hey!" Charlotte yelled to Aubree and I from across the hall.

"CHAR!" I yelled and ran over to her. I gave her a hug and smiled at her. "Where's Jasper?"

"He's in the bathroom", Charlotte said to us. "I haven't seen you guys in forever!"

"I've missed you guys. I've been so busy", I told her.

"Yeah, and Olivia is a hand full", Aubree said. She seriously sounded like a 30 year old mom right there.

The bell rang and I looked around at all the students walking into rooms.

"We should probably go to our classes. Charlotte nodded. "Okay, I'll see you at lunch.

This year, Charlotte was in all AP and honors classes, but me, Aubree, and Jasper were not. So we would only see her at lunch.

I can't believe how different everything was but at the same time, it was the same. I had a normal family, the same best friends, the same girlfriend, and extras. A new sister, sorta, Ray, my parents were gone though. Sometimes I was sad that they were gone and that they lied to me my whole life but I would get over it. Life was good, life was difficult, but it was good. I was happy, Aubree was happy, Ray was happy, Olivia and Piper were happy, everyone was happy, which is good.

Now, it's hard to say goodbye, so I won't, just a small farewell, I will see you soon, in this book or another ;)

A/N***I AM SO SORRY THAT I'M ENDING THIS SO QUICKLY, BUT I GOT WRITERS BLOCK AND HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO WRITE IN IT. I will be doing a third book soon, well, later, but there will be an epilogue because it's not a good book without one. So look for that soon! I'm probably writing it right now! I love you guys, please vote and comment! -Hannah :) <3