4. Stolen Wings

I was wandering the A building. Done with homework and my friends on vacation, I was left to my own devices. But A building wasn't the most ideal to explore: its most fascinating corners were high up in the air, and for someone without wings, they were impossible to get to.

I had heard a rumor that there were tunnels linking the buildings together underground. They were built in case trouble stirred, and the creatures could take refuge beneath Vietate City. It was alleged that the tunnels were used only once, when a disease ravaged the City, and those seeking sanctuary from the illness ran to the tunnels. They survived.

But in my spare time, when the creatures had left for the solstices (celebrations witches in particular observed) and I was alone to explore the school, I had yet to find them. Supposedly someone in my class had stumbled upon the tunnels, but I didn't want to bother them with my trivial curiosities.

While on spring break my freshman year, I had planned to work ahead in classes, simply because I couldn't go home—the farm wasn't producing as many crops and the animals were getting sick, so my family couldn't afford to send me home. But I had worked ahead as far as I could (mostly research papers), and now I had nothing to do.

There were other creatures that stayed behind. Either they hadn't a home to return to, or they couldn't afford a vacation. But I figured they wouldn't want to spend time with the only human on campus, let alone a freshman. I wasn't "cool" enough.

I had run into a couple other angels on my travels throughout the building. They stared at me as I passed by, and I returned their stares.

Even though I had spent almost eight months with the creatures, I hadn't gotten used to them yet. The vampires were difficult to look at, with their frightening and sharp features. The werewolves were scary in general when phased. The super-humans and witches looked human enough, so it wasn't too hard to grow accustomed to them. But the angels—they were in a league of their own.

I had never known anything so breathtaking. Without their wings, each one of them would have been models. Long legs, clear eyes, flawless skin, the gracefulness that exceeded that of even a dancer's. But with their wings, they went from models to heavenly beings. Their wings were long, large enough to lift their weight off the ground, and the color combinations were endless.

I was grateful that my dorm room was in the Angeli building, to be surrounded by such beautiful creatures. It was hard to describe them, and I hoped someday that my family would get to meet one. Aunt Mollie would love them.

My footsteps echoed in the empty hallways, and I tried to silence them. But I couldn't make myself weightless without ceasing entirely. The activity entertained me, and I ended up laughing to myself as I ran down the hallway.

I came upon one of the Glory Rooms, a room dedicated to the angels of old that fought in the wars, the philosophers that changed how the creatures thought about their existence, the scientists that came up with potions that healed and the magic that kept telepaths out. It was my favorite room in Angeli.

The windows were stain-glass, depicting angels donned in glistening armor and defending their kin against unimaginable foes. Saint Peter stood at Heaven's Gates, the sun reflecting off a set of pearly wings. Philosophers circled about a red stone, hands in the air. Witches held potions and beads, bowing their heads.

Because of the sun shining through the window, the floor became a pool of color. I stepped into a streak of red, coming from the stone, and looked to the altar at the front of the room.