Epilogue

Buddha snorted, and I chuckled. I patted his neck and said, "Oh, come now. Don't be like that. Just a little while longer, okay?"

For the fifth time that day, I led my horse about the boundary of the farm. We moved at a slow pace, as it was hot out and Buddha was tired. But I wanted to be able to see when they arrived so we circled the farm yet again.

Pausing at water for Buddha to drink, my eyes squinted at the sky. That was one of the first things I noticed that was different: here, the sky was a dull blue, and sunsets often resembled cotton candy because of the smoke. Back at Vietate, the sky was a constant perfect blue, and sunsets were always the same color: orange.

"Why aren't they here yet?" I asked Buddha. He twitched his ear in response.

Nineteen minutes later, we trotted back to the house. Buddha was exhausted and I was sweaty, and no one was here yet.

"Still no news?" Aunt Mollie asked, drying a dish with her apron.

I shook my head. "No dots in the sky, no unusual weather patterns."

"Give them time. They're coming a long way, and probably not by train." She chuckled as she disappeared into the kitchen again.

"Is that stupid mind-reader coming again?" Leesa glared at me from over her sketch pad, pencil smeared on her cheek.

I had to smile at her. "Yes, Leesa, he is."

She jutted her lips out. "Why does he have to come too? He was here just, like, two weeks ago."

"Because he's her boooyfriend," TJ sang, and I laughed along with him. "He's always gotta be with his giiiirlfriend."

I grabbed TJ by the neck and ruffled his hair, like a sister. He wriggled against my grasp but it was in play. We ended up laughing, leaned against each other.

Sometimes, it seemed TJ liked Jarek even more than I did. At the very least he was the mind-reader's biggest fan. And the three of us bonded over driving Leesa nuts—Leesa was not Jarek's fan.

Come evening, the air had chilled and the sun was slowly descending in the sky. I sat on the porch steps, apple in hand, as I watched the sky. Birds flew by, and their wings against the deepening-pink sky reminded me of the angels. I thought of Maion and Cassiel, their strength and otherworldly beauty and hypnotic charms. And then I thought of him.

It wasn't unusual for my thoughts to wander to the fallen angel of Vietate High. It was rarer when Jarek was around, for obvious reasons. But oftentimes, on the nights when I let my thoughts run free, they landed on him. I could recall everything: his deep eyes, his stern eyebrows, his frowning mouth, his set jaw, his silky black hair that touched his shoulders, his black feathers. I could remember the sting and the frostbite of his Lucifer's Touch, the bumps and bruises from sparring, the kiss. And I always wondered what he was up to.

A commotion to my left roused me from my thoughts. Dirt swirled, lifting off the ground in mini spirals, and noise filled the country air. It was the sound of laughter and bickering. It brought an instant smile to my lips, almost too big for my face.

I bolted to my feet and bounded down the steps, almost losing my footing. I stumbled forward, catching my balance. Giggling and blushing, I rushed toward them, arms outstretched.

Zakary was the first one to catch me. He crushed me in a hug and buried his head in my neck. Goose bumps spread along my skin, with his mouth so close to my jugular vein—to the scars that lie there. When he pulled back, he flashed me a dazzling smile, fangs and all.