A Sight To Remember. Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I never thought that my eyes would ever witness a sight like this.

I was currently standing with my mouth wide open as I stared at Nathan. The tear that was threatening to fall did and fell with a small splash onto the floor. Nathan kept his head hung down so I couldn't see his face. His apology did not only completely surprise me but it also made me feel that he meant something more, I just couldn't possibly think what it was.

I dropped my intense stare at Nathan when I heard a large group of students come into the classroom. They didn't notice me and Nathan as they were all engrossed in their own conversation.

I looked back towards Nathan to find him walking away, his back to me. He pushed past the group of people and exited. I stood there in the middle of the classroom shocked.

_______________

"Eat." Miya nodded towards my fries. Emma and a few others looked at me cautiously. We were all seated at the food court in the new mall. I had to admit, the mall was pretty impressive and had a lot of cool shops, but I was too distracted thinking about Nathan to pay more attention.

I picked up a couple of fries and shoved them into my mouth, then opened my mouth to show everyone my chewed food. "There, happy?"

"Eww, gross," the group cringed at the sight. Miya and Kyle tried to hide laughing, while the rest of the group gave me strange looks. I rolled my eyes at them all and went back to thinking about Nathan.

Why was he crying, I mean I'm not sexist or anything but from experience of having boys that are friends I never once saw them cry. So that made it all the more strange when someone as macho looking as Nathan would shed a tear. All he was doing was apologising, it wasn't like it was a huge deal. Even though he was acting like a complete ass.

I blamed his tear on the fact that it was quite bright in that room and he probably had sensitive eyes. It didn't sound like a great excuse but I didn't want to think about it anymore.

"So Ivory, you up for some more shopping? " Alana asked me. She was another one of my friends, she had dark brown eyes and frizzy red hair. She was really nice but I just never got much time to get to know her very well since she only joined our group just before summer.

"Yeah that sounds good." I didn't really want to continue shopping but I needed a distraction.

"Yay!" Emma gave me a quick hug, her brown curly hair bouncing as she did so.

Miya rolled her eyes at her and stood up, " Where do you guys want to hit first."

"The game store!" Jeremy responded.

"Yes!" Sean and Kyle agreed. All three of them knuckle punched each other.

"No." Miya said, placing a hand on her hip as she stared at them.

"How about you guys go to the game store and us four will go to a clothes store or something." I suggested. The guys looked at me with delight as they all huddled around me, embracing me in a hug. It felt nice, it felt the same way it did before the summer, before their hugs felt like sympathy hugs.

"And this is why we like Ivory better." Kyle gave a pointed look at Miya as he stuck out his tongue. Miya rolled her eyes and pulled me out of their arms.

"You'll pay for that later, O'Connor!" Miya shouted out as she dragged us three girls away.

"Anytime, I'll be ready!" Kyle shouted back at her. I chuckled at the pair of them. Miya pulled us into some random clothes store. They had giant spotlights on the walls with pop songs playing in the background.

"Aren't these clothes just super cute?" Emma smiled widely as she picked up a red tee. Emma's bubbly attitude to life was the only reason why Miya and I had any other friends. In grade school, Miya and I only had each other, we were best friends. Then one day at lunch, Emma sat beside us and invited us to the party she was throwing. Her genuine niceness and her positive outlook made it easy for us to become friends. Emma introduced us to some of her other close friends, Sean, Kyle and Jeremy. The six of us became a group. Even though we have a wide group of friends as well, who sit with us at lunch, we are closer to each other. Alana joined the group just before summer, she was good friends with Emma and I think she's a really nice person even though she's a little shy.

"Ivory, what do you think?" Alana pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Emm..Sorry what?" I asked her. She was holding a dark purple dress with jewel encrusted straps. It looked perfect for Alana.

"What do you think about this dress for homecoming? " Alana repeated. Homecoming, I forgot about that.

"It's beautiful." I replied, gathering the material in my hands, "You would look really pretty in this."

"Yay it's settled. Now I just have to find a date." Alana smiled as she hung the dress across her arm.

"You'll find a date, look at you!" Emma comforted her, slinging her arm around her shoulder. Alana smiled back and turned towards me, "Now we should look for your dress."

"I'm not going to homecoming. " I mumbled, looking at the ground.

"Yes you are." Emma and Miya said in union. Miya grabbed my arm and pulled me towards some rails. Emma and Alana followed behind laughing.

"Homecoming is not for another two weeks! Anyway I'm not even going so theres no point." I argued as I was being dragged unwillingly.

"You're going and that's final." Miya stood in front of me, her voice was serious and final. Emma and Alana were busy rooting through the rails.

"But-" I tried to argue again but Miya cut me off,"No-I'm not listening to any buts."

I sighed in defeat. I know Miya well and I know she seems to always get her way one way or another. When Miya saw I wasn't going to protest she smiled and turned to rummage through the dresses.

"So who are you bringing to this homecoming?" I asked casually, trying to turn the attention away from dresses. It was a throwaway question I asked absentmindedly but when I saw Miya's face turn red, I was suddenly very interested.

"Ooooooohhh, who is it?" I teased. Miya's face was bright red at this stage. She looked around, probably seeing if Emma and Alana were in earshot. I saw the two on the far side of the store, Emma was holding a green flowy dress up to herself while engrossed in conversation with Alana.

"It's no one important. " Miya said quickly. She picked up a dark red dress and pretended to be very intrigued by it. That's how I knew she was thinking about this mystery guy. He must be special.

"You really like him." I grinned like a kid in a candy shop,"Look at you, you're blushing!"  

Miya let out a small laugh and turned her head away from me.

"Come on, spill. " I put my hands on both sides of her face and made her look at me.

"You will hate me. I think I'll decline it." Miya said softly.

"You will not decline it. Now tell me who it is." I demanded. I couldn’t think of a single reason why she couldn't just tell me.

"Well you see- em.. I wanted to talk to you about this-" Miya dragged out the sentence while she rubbed the back of her neck. The shop door opened and we both looked at who it was. Sean, Kyle and Jeremy walked in, they were making their way over to us.

Miya looked away from them and looked me in the eye. The guys were still far away enough not to hear anything she was about to say.

"Kyle asked me." She flinched when she finished the sentence.

Oh cruel fate.