First Steps

Originally posted by Lin Verbeck, 1-15-16 on alexisdonkin.com blog

Everyone has a story to tell. Everyone has a past – some place where things began. There's always a first step.

For me, it was my mother getting sick. I was the youngest so my brothers were out of the house and living their lives. She was 45 and I was 15 when things got noticeable.

At first it was just misplacing something. Keys would be in the fridge. Mouthwash would be with the cleaners. She struggled with names. It grew to being memories – who people were and stories that were ingrained in her person felt like she was hearing them the first time. My father couldn't handle it. He started drinking and would disappear for days only to come back so hungover he just went to sleep in the den.

After ten years, my mother's mind was completely gone. She wasn't there – didn't recognize me. My father was so depressed, drinking so much, he drove his truck off a bridge and drowned. In another five years, Mom was gone too.

While my parents spiraled and I held the house together, I started to discover things. I always knew what Mom needed even when she couldn't find the words. When she got angry, frustrated at the loss of ability, I could calm her with a touch.

I found a love of plants and care. My tisanes brought relief after my father's benders. When my mother moved to the assisted living facility, I got a break and found connection in the woods near our house. The extra time gave me the ability to study business and become a certified full-spectrum doula. I started making plans. Despite my life seeming to be on hold, I found a way to be.

When my father died, my abilities to affect emotions blossomed. With my mother's death, my ability to heal myself and others came into it's own. It wasn't how I wanted things to go, but we work with what we're given.

I bought the Country Star on a whim. I never thought I'd end up in Oak Springs. And then I noticed Gwen. I saw some of myself in her. I didn't know how much was there, but then after Tommy passed and she showed up in the Country Star it became clear.

Every journey has a first step. For me, it was Mom. For Gwen, it was Tommy.

For more about Gwen, Lin, and Tommy, read Chapter1: Vessel and Chapter 2: Masked. Stay tuned for Chapter 3: Genesis coming soon!