Lucky Genes in Woman

Originally posted by Corwin Pierce, alexisdonkin.com blog, 3-18-16

Is it possible to make one's own luck? Forces that are impossible to understand unfold over centuries causing effects that are difficult to connect. Anyone with a knowledge of history, even of a young planet like Earth knows this. Looking backward it is possible to understand how forces impact one another, exerting influence over time and space, but an individual taking things into their own hands?

One need only look at the reasoning of galactic rebels to see that "luck" is another word for "fate." Could a child born without the requisite traits make his way through to a ruling council seat? The universe is vast. Anything is possible. In time, everything is probable. Perhaps in a distant century, there was someone fitting this description who occupied such a role. In the present climate, it seems unlikely.

In the case of Alisa, forces worked in her favor, after a fashion. To say that she was responsible is fractionally true. Events outside her control directed her life in ways she never would have anticipated – in ways I never would have anticipated.

Perhaps there was something in the genes. Though our understandings of genetics are deep, there are always organic mutations. There are infinite possibilities and the results change from planet to planet. The form is similar, but the pieces function differently. It is similar to mixing red and blue; the resulting hue changes depending on the percentages of each color, as well as the addition of white or black.

Thus we arrive at Alisa.

We know the female body changes – that many changes happen physically in order for it to do what only women can do. We know that Watcher DNA exhibits specific traits. There have been numerous, if rare instances, of Watcher DNA mixing with seeded planet DNA without incident. The question is, why Alisa? What is so unique about her mixture of genes that allowed her to be what she has become?

Alisa has helped to do things that no one thought were possible. By all accounts, Alisa is impossible - and yet she is.

Perhaps this is why, despite every possible effort, I love her.

*****

For more about Corwin Pierce and Alisa Greer, get a copy of the stand-alone novel, BELOW THE BELT.