Remembering Vows on Beltane

Originally published 4-29-16 by Laran Wuldor on alexisdonkin.com blog

Beltane is the beginning of new life and the summer season.

It's a holiday of the Dannan and those with northern roots, like the Sidhe Mac Darragh line. Somehow it was coopted across the veils. But it's not like celebrating Easter with Zen Buddhists in Japan. We call it Beltane because of the influence of the Sidhe, and Seelie Dannan, but it was known by many names in many times and places. We all celebrate the passing of the seasons. We all celebrate the fire festivals in some way. Ours just took the Celtic name, kind of like renaming Yule "Christmas."

When I was younger it was a time to sneak into the forest with my latest flirtation, eschewing clothes, and instead bathing brushing lips and stroking hands. Those times were full of sweet mead, smoky air, night-blooming florals, and of course, rhythmic music.

I wasn't as wild as some. I didn't take scores to a mossy bed like other Sidhe. Let's just say, I wasn't idle either...

What a difference a year can make.

When Beltane draws near, I no longer think of hangovers, smudged makeup, or crumpled clothes smelling of stale smoke. I think of the music of the spheres, celebrating our love. I think of the perfection of a sleeping face on the pillow next to me.

Now Beltane a reminder of vows and a reconnection to the one person above any other. It's a reminder of the power of a bond – of orchards laden with fruit out of season, the perfect red apple, and a gift of jewelry so foreign it belongs to another species.

It's magic in its purest sense. Perfect – glorious – beauty. Power incarnate. A love deeper than the ocean brought a peace more profound than I knew possible.

That's what Beltane makes me think these days.

Will I jump over fires and throw petals around this year? Will I dance and drink mead? Will I eat glorious fruits of the forest? Of course!

But when the night is dark, I won't sneak into the woods with a lord's niece from a near province. Instead, I'll pull my wife close, inhaling the scent of her hair, relishing the joy of being with her, and we'll go home.

Enjoy this Beltane. Tell someone you love how much they mean to you. Let Beltane remind you it's a new season and a new life. Jump some fire. Drink mead. Dance. Wear bright colors. Enjoy your body.

Have a blessed Beltane full of the promises of summer! I know we will...

*****

Laran is a character from the epic fantasy KHLOE ALWELL SERIES, first appearing in Book 2, LOVERS AND RIVALS.