All we can do is watch.

Originally posted by Myrddin to alexisdonkin.com blog 2-26-16

It's been over 300 years and so much has changed, except it hasn't.

We've done a lot to remove ourselves – the entire Otherworld has effectively gone into hiding. Before it was just the Sidhe, but now the Seelie have joined us. They don't participate in the human world like they used to...with a few slight changes.

It used to be that we were isolationists. We didn't do anything to or with humanity, not in any practical way. Since our revelation to the United Nation over 300 years ago, however, we decided that kind of isolation was dangerous. To this day, there remains a single Sidhe or Seelie stationed at any human center of power to keep tabs and direct humanity as needed.

If human ambition becomes too much of a problem – if they start shifting things out of balance – we step in, quietly putting them back. In this way, we maintain the integrity of the Dawn Song, and our worlds and veils are maintained.

Humanity did reap the consequences of their actions. It was a case of "too little, too late." There was nothing that could prevent this. It was the cost of their choices. The Great Change restored equilibrium to veils and humanity suffered. There was nothing for us to do but allow it. Just like a child has boundaries, this was one for humans.

Now with so much time having passed, humanity has forgotten why they fell – what caused it. They forget what happens when they overstep their species' boundary.

There are signs that something is happening to counter them – to put them in their place. There are signs something is coming, though it's unclear exactly what it is. Prophecy is a rare gift, and not easily directed. Bast, the queen's confidante, has been useless in offering the council information. It leaves balancers very little choice but to watch and wait.

So I, master balancer and advisor to Mac Darragh, am stuck shaking my head and shrugging until something changes.

And it will. Something always does.

****

Myrddin is a character from the Khloe Alwell Series. Read more about the situation of the Otherworld and it's relationship to humanity in the Khloe Alwell books, starting with THE BROTHERS.