Chapter 8 - Back To The Past

Even after my return, mum and dad left out the fact that they had arranged a whole police investigation after I was discovered missing. The next morning after last night's dinner outing, my parents told me about it and said that some officers were coming over to question me that day.

I was becoming more and more nervous as each hour would tick by. I can't exactly tell them upfront that I fell through a portal down the street into a whole other dimension. They would probably send me to a mental asylum if I said anything of the sort. I could only pray that they weren't bringing along a lie detector.

Eventually two officers arrived and asked dad if they could privately sit down with me in the living room, only for the interrogation part. They asked for my parents to come in afterwards to share results.

There were a lot of questions asked, and I had to lie for about 90% of it; they didn't bring a lie detector after all. They asked me things like how I went missing in the first place, if I was kidnapped or anything. I convinced them finally that it was on my own impulse to want to run away, which I guess is true anyway.

They asked me other things like what I did in the time I was missing, which stumped me a little. But I got through it saying that I wondered around the city. When they said they never found me in the city, I said that I was hiding in alleys and other hidden passages. They didn't seem convinced, but they moved on anyway.

Mum and dad both came in after about an hour of questioning, and the police relayed everything that I had told them. They brought up the fact that school played a big issue in my decision obviously, and that they should be looking out for me. I tried not to tell them that my parents didn't do too well in the "parenting" side of things, because I just felt guilty.

After the police finally left, mum and I had a long discussion about the situation at school. She told me she took me out of school, because she wasn't sure I would come back. I told her to sign me up for school again, still at Alphamona High. Mum greatly protested, but I told her I really wanted to stand up to everyone that put me down. She was proud of me, and so she hesitantly filled out the enrolment forms during lunchtime.

I went back to school rather soon after that talk, about one week later to be exact. Once I had received all the new books I needed for the rest of the year, I was ready to go. Jayla and I would always walk together, making sure we told each other we loved one another when we would part for the day.

I didn't realise how daunting it would be returning back to the place I dreaded most. It was almost like going to a new school for the first time, all over again. Since a whole year had passed since I was gone, everyone looked a little older and there were a whole bunch of new kids in my year level.

I was a little shy to begin with, especially when everyone I "knew" was crowded around my new locker. I had to ask them to move out of the way, and they would just give me wide-eyed stares as they see I am back. I started to really doubt myself and think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

I got my needed books and stationary for my first class of the day, Cooking. I noticed that I had a lot of different classes than what I did last year. Now being in year 10, it would seem there is a whole new, wider range of study to choose. I've never been much of a cooking fan myself, even back at the mansion when Robin and I would be rostered on together for kitchen—

...Robin...

I cleared my head of the silly thoughts, and sat down at a table. There was obvious muttering happening around the classroom as I took my seat; I could only assume it was about my unexpected return.

Unbeknownst to myself, I was sitting alone with a boy that I had never seen before. I figured he must be one of the new students that came this year. Broad shoulders, slightly tanned, definitely toned in his arms, and his rugged blonde hair with his very slightly pointed ears reminded me of someone I was very close to. But now, I've cut that bond we had.