Chapter 9 - What Was Missed

After the heart-wrenching discovery of the loss of my companion, and the realisation of the regret I had about leaving the Smashers in the first place, I had drifted off to sleep. I woke up the next morning seeing that Willow was placed back against my closet, and that I had been fully tucked into my bed. I guessed that mum did that when she came home.

After also realising that I went to sleep without any food in my stomach, I was pretty hungry. I walked downstairs, could feel that my hair was obviously a huge mess on top of my head, and started raiding the pantry.

"Morning sis..." I heard Jayla lazily moan as she walked down the stairs. Before my journey to the Smash dimension, when I was on Earth, I was always the first one to wake up. It appeared as though none of that had changed.

"Gee, and I thought my morning hair was bad," I teased as I moved onto looking through the fridge.

"Yeah yeah, whatever." Jay sluggishly sat at the counter and leaned on her arm, looking like she could fall back asleep right then and there. "So," she yawned, "why did you go to sleep so early? It was only like... 4:00 or something."

"I was just tired, that's all." If she were ten times more awake than she was then, she would've definitely caught on that I was clearly lying. But, she wasn't that awake, therefore too tired to care.

I checked the clock above the kitchen window and saw that the time was 8:10:am, meaning that school started in 35 minutes. I realised that I was still in my school uniform from yesterday, but was super crinkled. Jayla had already finished getting ready, and so she just watched me run back and forth.

"Bye mum! Bye dad!" Jayla and I yelled upstairs as we rushed out the door. School was going to start soon, and so we decided to run a little; once again showing off our fitness.

We both arrived at school with just a minute or two to spare, so in that time I decided to look for Elios. I saw he was sitting at a park bench closest to where the locker bay was, reading another one of his thick novels. I could see from a distance, that he was reading Percy Jackson; one of his favourites.

I grabbed my books first and started walking over to him, when I suddenly walked into some people I didn't realise were standing in front of me, causing me to drop my books.

"Sorry! I didn't s-" I cut myself off as the students who were in front of me were none other than Stacie, Chaise and Jamie. They all stared back at me, but not viciously. More like they were boggled, yet unimpressed.

"Look who it is..."

"Is that really Zit-tard who just ran into us?"

"Man, I was really hoping that we didn't have to see you again." I wish I said the same thing back to them, but my mouth wouldn't open. I could only stare.

"Hey, what're you looking at?"

"You don't even have the right to look at us."

"Yeah! You're too stupid to be given such an honour."

"And you're too stupid to not leave Ingrid alone." Another voice joined the fray, which I recognised as Elios as he came and stood next to me. His face looked pretty angry, and he held his book in his right hand, gripping it like he could use it to hit someone.

In that moment, I was instantly reminded of the time Link stood up to Falco for me. After my first match against Falco and Sonic, their gang come over and started causing trouble. But Link was the first one to take action, and protected me. I felt a strong feeling of sadness as I thought about my family.

"Did you just call me stupid? Look who's talking?" Chaise laughed at him.

I felt like I could move again after hearing Chaise insult my closest friend like that. I started picking up my books of the ground, took his hand and dragged him away. The bell rang before he could say anything after that, so we parted and went to our first classes of the day. Mine was math, sadly enough.