Chapter 1 - Training before Reaping

Please leave a comment if you like it! <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My boots make small footprints in the deep mud  when I walk on the small trail which leads up to the training centre. I'm not wearing the usual training suit, its a special day so we're free. Every year at reaping day, all of the boys and girls over 15 (15 is the age limit before you can call yourself a Career) gathers to 1, prepare the 18 year olds to volunteer and 2, to make it up (so we were not fighting in the live broadcast) who or which ones to step forward and volunteer this year. It's this chatter that takes so many hours that we have to be here 7 in the morning. Not that I will put myself in the fight, yet. I'm too young, my sister, however, is 18 and supposed to fight about a place as a tribute but I know she dread it even though it is practically against the law as career. I know she is afraid of being killed and with that you dont get far in the Games.

I'm the only one who knows that she will try to avoid to volunteer as a tribute this year, if its possible. Not even our parents knows, they were so happy and cheery this morning and even kissed her on the cheek but they didn't notice the looks she gave them. Me on the other hand, didn't they give a crap about, as usual. I'm not important until I'm 18. But everyone knows that I'm the one who would survive longer.

But I love my sister, I really do. She is really, really scared of the Capitol and to be reaped. One time, when she was 14 (and i was 12) she was reaped and she started screaming and fight to get free, fortunately there was a 18 year old Career there to take her place but ever since then, she has been so afraid of being killed that she didn't even care about the nickname everybody called her, I dont want to mention it... She only got her courage back if someone did something mean to me. Then she would step in front of me and tell them to back off. After that she would always say she loved me and that she would do anything to protect me, and then we probably hug. 

"Do you think I have any chance of getting away without to volunteer?" she asked me and snapped me out of my thoughts. I look up to her and see the frightened look in her eyes. 

"Of course, there's always a big fight and you could just stand there and let them fight and then you wouldn't have to volunteer." I say and give her a small smile. 

"Yeah thats what I'll do, but I'm still a bit scared..." she says and look down at her boots.

"Hey.. you have nothing to be afraid of. This is your last year and the least chance of being reaped." I say and put my hand on her shoulder as we walk. Sometimes I get the feeling of me being the older sister.

"You're right, of course. I'm just being silly. Oh god I feel so useless, I'm supposed to be the older sister and protect you but instead you are." she says and wipes away a small tear that slipped through her eye. I sigh quietly.

"No...Everybody is afraid of something and you help me with that I dont like or something." i say and smile at her. "It's going to be okay." she nods and smiles back at me.

"But there's still a chance I'm going to the Capitol... If I'm being reaped I'll have to go since I'm 18 and then there's no use for anyone to volunteer." she says and the fear is back in her eyes.

"Oh come on! Do you really believe that will happen? Seriously Clary...And if it happens, we will deal with it then." I say and smile. She laughs a bit.

"Yeah I guess so. Well, anyways, thanks. For helping me with this. It's really hard actually." she says and stops walking to look at me.

"Well, thats what sisters are for, right?" I say and smile at her.

"I love you." she says and hugs me tightly. I hug her back and bury my face in her hair.

"I love you too." I whisper in her ear.

We let go of each other and starts walking again. We're almost there and I can feel the excitement that I always feels when I'm here. I like to train here, it's so invigorating. I bet that Clary doesn't feel the same when she's here. When we opens the door the familiar smell hits me. It's a mixture of sweat, leather, and the special smell of metal weapons. I pull greedily for breath and Clary stares at me. I just shrug at her and give her a small grin. The 18 year olds stand in the middle, already screaming at each other, Clary gasps and looks panicked out. I patted her awkwardly on the back.

"It's gonna be ok, just do as I we agreed and everything will be great." I say and she nods and start walking over to the group with 18 year olds. 

I watch her stand there, not too much in the middle but not too much on the outside. I turn around and walks over to my group of 16 year olds. I'm like the queen of my age, it's like I always have the final decision. Everybody respects me and I'm really happy with it. It's cool and really practical sometimes. There's only one person who's more "popular" than me in my age. And that's the king. I dont really remember his name but he's tall, blonde and really muscular. I've heard a rumor that he might volunteer this year. If he does he's really stupid. He probably thinks he's good enough this year, well I think I'm good enough too, but in 2 years, we'll be even better and the chance of winning then is much bigger than now.

When I step into the circle they all sit in everybody go quiet and look up at me. I get a bit irritated and glare at them.

"What are you looking at?" I snort at them. They quickly turn they heads down and start talking again. I sigh and sit down next to my friend Sarah. If I'm the queen she's like the princess. 

"I've never understood why we have to gather us here. It's not we who have to fight about who's going to volunteer." I say to Sarah. 

"I dont know, I guess we just have to be here." she says and shurgs. I sigh again and turn my head around to watch how it's going for Clary.

She stands perfectly, not in the middle but not on the outside of the group. The real fight is between 4 males, they're almost starting to push the others and start a real fight. Fortunately there are peacekeepers everywhere to hold them back.  There's another fight between 3 females and they're just standing there glaring at each other like typical girls. I've always wondered why the head trainer didn't just pick one male and one female instead of letting them fight about themselves, like they do in the other "Career districts", but I guess he wants some action.

I hear everyone gasp behind me and I turn my head to see what's going on in my age group. The king is here. Well, that wasn't so hard to figure out actually. The blonde boy stands in the middle of the group looking satisfied with the gasp he managed to accomplish. I rise to my feet and walk up to him so I stand in the middle too. 

"Well, isn't it the one, the only, the quueeeeeen." he says sarcastically looking down at me. I immediately get irritated. I glowers menacingly at him. 

"What do you want?" I ask, letting him hear the irritated tone in my voice loud and clear. He looks a little surprised at first but he recovers quickly. He takes one step closer to me so our faces are just inches away. I can feel all the 16 year olds gazes are on us. I can also feel the hatred trembles between us, the queen and the king aren't supposed to be friends. I have no idea why I'm supposed to hate him but I do, for no reason.

"You think you're sooooo good, huh? Well let's see who the real boss is here." he says and takes another step closer to me and since he is so much taller than me, he is now looking down at me. But what did he mean? A competition? Oh this is gonna be soooo fun. 

" I'm so in. after that, you will be so humiliated that a girl beat you." I almost whisper now and in the corner of my eye, I see all boys and girls sitting in the circle bend forward to hear every word. The blonde boy looks absolutely frustrated. 

"Oh please." he says and snaps his fingers and immediately there's a boy at his side. "Tell the head trainer we are going to do some...extra training." he commands the boy without dropping eye contact with me. I snort at him and turn around to put up my strategy with Sarah.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you liked it! :) Okay so I'm going to update as much as I can but I have training on mondays,sometimes tuesdays,wendsdays and sundays. BUT, I'm going to make sure I'll update and if i dont...then just no. oh well, PLEASE COMMENT if you liked it! <3