Chapter 1

It was a windy, typical firith – late autumn night in the northern most part of the Greenwood realm. Turi and Bragoldir were laying belly down on the cold ground under the cover of low-hanging leaves, bows drawn and ready to go.

Baimeldir was squatted a way down the slope below them, the tension of the stakeout etched on his face. 

Turi had been looking at the opulent mansion across from them for so long she'd practically memorized every ornate wooden window and stone carved motif on its façade. She also felt like she knew every line on the faces of the green elves who had been staying there for the past four days.

They'd arrived in Greenwood with much fanfare, and after a visit to the king during which they'd showed off pouches filled with gold and jewels, the trading delegation had taken up residence in this building.

The hedge next to the mansion rounded the corner, around which they could not see, but besides that Turi and the Dirs had a clear view of every walkway that passed the front door. They could monitor anyone going in or out of the building.

Turi rolled onto her side, stretching her shoulders to prevent an upcoming cramp. Bra rubbed his hands and blew on them. As Turi sighed, the vapour of her breath hung suspended in mid-air. If only she had a pouch with gold or jewels, she'd gladly trade it in for a cup of warm leaf tea now.

Several instances of desperation and sighing later, just when Turi thought she'd never be able to walk upright again, someone casually rounded the hedged corner and preceded to the front of the building.

Adrenaline shot through Turi's veins, chasing away the cramps and the thoughts of seeking out different employment. This was none other than the head of the party, a tall and proud elf by the name of Talathon.

Supposedly the green elves had descended upon Greenwood to meet up with an important trader crossing the region. But why were they really here? The order for the internal surveys' discreet surveillance detail had come from king Thranduil himself, and was strictly on a need-to-know basis. It was of the highest diplomatic importance not to offend these guests.

Talathon, wearing a long dark blue cloak, abruptly came to a halt in front of the main door. He seemed to be reacting to something on his far left side. Turi and the Dirs simultaneously pointed their weapons in that direction, their ears peaked to pick up what Talathon could see or hear.

Turi could just about make out a shadowy figure. An elf wearing a feathered hat was standing half-concealed inside the hedge, and seemed to be gesturing intensely to Talathon. Suddenly the green elf started backing away, and subsequently tripped over his long cloak.

It happened so fast, Turi could hardly believe her eyes. The feathered shadow jumped out of the hedge and started running towards Talthon who was now on the ground. Turi and the Dirs jumped up, but immediately had to drop back down for cover as arrows came flying at them. Clearly this attacker had brought reinforcements hidden around their position.

Down at the entrance to the house, the feathered freak threw himself full length on top of Talathon and pinned him to the ground.

Turi inhaled sharply and shouted 'Internal surveys, drop your weapons', which resulted in little but alarming the green elves inside the mansion, as lights came on behind several of the windows. She stifled a groan.

While Turi and Bra were firmly pinned down by their attackers' fire, Bam had been able to slide further down and now lunged himself full fontal on the feathered elf. He yanked his arms back and pulled him upright, shouting 'Stop this assault!' At the same time, green elves spilled out of the mansion, bows drawn and screaming.

'What a nightmare' Turi moaned. 'Uh-huh' nodded Bra.

'Stop, hold your fire!' the feathered elf shouted as he noticed he was being used as a live shield. As soon as the barrage of arrows stopped, Turi and Bra raced down the slope and joined Bam behind their feathered prisoner.

'Come out, everyone. Now!' Turi shouted.

The echoes of screams died out, and it was over. Turi was panting, standing over the head green elf who was cursing and struggling to get up.

Her breath stopped in her throat as she took a closer look at their feathered attacker. They'd have to go explain this to Thranduil, and he wouldn't be pleased.