Chapter 18

'It's just me' Coamenel squeaked, peering around the entrance with his hat in his hand. 

He nudged the door open and shuffled into the sparsely decorated room. When he noticed Turi, he momentarily stopped, but then dropped his shoulders and turned to Thranduil.

Turi shot to her feet, saying 'I'm so sorry... please.' But the commander in chief raised his hand and nodded 'It's not a problem.'

There was an awkward moment of silence as Turi slunk to the back of the room and tried to make herself invisible. Being caught in a compromising situation with the king was the last thing she needed after all the stress with this case. Then again, Coamenel had proved himself not to be a blabbermouth. She pretended to look at some minute detail on the wall.

Thranduil scraped his throat and asked 'What is it, commander?'

Coamenel sighed and looked at the floor, unsure of where to begin. 'I wanted to come, erm, your royalness, and report on the case.' He was wringing his feathered hat like he was trying to make sure it wouldn't come alive and run off.

Suddenly he righted his back and inhaled sharply. 'My performance was hampered, my king.'

'Hampered? How? Tell me about it' Thranduil said. 'My king' Coamenel muttered, hanging his head again 'there might have been moments where I was lead down the wrong path. We were all deceived, and if it wasn't for, well, internal surveys...' He stole a sideway glance at Turi, his voice trailing off.

Turi was now intensely staring out the window, her hands behind her back and resolved not to be sucked into this conversation.

Thranduil asked severely, but in a controlled voice 'To be clear, did you think I'd fled my kingdom? That I murdered a trader and robbed the ring for my own benefit?'

Coamenel went pale at hearing these accusations put quite so sternly, and shook his head violently. 'No, no, of course not my king.' Then he hung his head once more and added 'But I'm not done yet.'

He paused a moment and continued 'I feel it is important for my personal honour that I apologise for, well, perhaps those fleeting moments of mistrust. Very small in fact. But my doubt was misplaced.'

Looking Thranduil in the eye, the commander said 'I see no other solution but to hereby tender my resignation as commander in chief of the armed forces.' His lip quivered as he said the words, and he looked close to breaking down.

Thranduil nodded, seemingly taking his suggestion into consideration. 'So who should we replace you with, you think?' he asked. Without hesitation, Coamenel said 'Turi, my king. She is a good elf, and an excellent detective.'

Thranduil looked over at Turi, who was now intensely admiring the carpet. 'Excellent, you say?'

Then the king seemed to tire of torturing the anxious Coamenel. 'Put your mind at rest, commander in chief. I am not firing you.'

Coamenel's eyes widened in surprise. Unsmilingly, Thranduil continued 'You are a steadfast commander, a skilled warrior and, well, you certainly do your best at strategizing. And delegating' he added with a thin smile and a glance at Turi, who smiled too but kept her eyes trained on the floor.

'Besides, Turi tells me you were instrumental in solving this case.' Coamenel looked surprised, but then quickly broke into a wide smile. 'Ah, well, your greatness,' he bowed deeply, some of his previous flair returning 'can I then report on the dénouement of the case, hm, ah?'

Thranduil's smile subsided 'If you must.' 'The green elves have left the kingdom, escorted by a detachment of our fighters and the diplomatic mission. They will accompany our friends back home, where, I'm certain, things will be cleared up.' Coamenel was beaming.

Turi was thinking that apparently even hopeless cases like the commander could mature, as the latter was excused by a wave of Thranduil's hand. The commander left the room backwards, bowing and making ha, yes, thanks noises. Turi smiled and shook her head. Maybe he wasn't the worst elf to be serving under after all.

She sat back down next to Thranduil. 'My love' she took his hand in hers and looked him squarely in the eyes. 'Maybe we all went down the deep end of doubt at some point.' She paused, trying to find the right words. Thranduil's face dropped 'Turi?'

'No no, not like that' she shook her head, rolling her eyes. 'I mean to say, I didn't understand why you didn't confide in me. I mistook your silence for uncertainness – in us. In me.'

Pensively, Thranduil reached for a glass of water that sat on a ledge over the bed.

'I'm sorry you felt that way' he mumbled. 'Yeah, me too' she hung her head. 'Pretty bad' he nodded. 'Not good' she agreed. 'Lots to make up for.' He sipped the water, looking at her. Then they both broke into a belly laugh.

Turi leaned into him, nesting her head in his hair and nuzzling his neck. He whispered 'You know, I have some ideas for making up.'

They embraced as Turi kicked the door shut with her foot.