Chapter 3

Turi had been to Thranduil's private library many times now, but not necessarily after being scolded for causing an embarrassing diplomatic incident.

The library was on the first floor, adjacent to the king's chambers. At midday, the palace halls were buzzing with activity. Elves were striding up and down in conversation, or passing Turi with their arms full of scrolls. Late autumn fruits were being arranged on one of the tables lining the hallway, and notes from a gannell – harp could be heard drifting in from the courtyard below.

These days no one batted an eye at Turi's presence in the palace – not after Thranduil and her's all-too public display at the laer – summer ball. (*) As she opened the door to the small library, she told herself that all was fine, and work didn't have to impact their personal relationship. But that might be the difference between them.

She walked past shelf-lined walls stuffed to the nooks with ancient looking tomes, their subjects ranging from history to legend and elven heritage. All these mysteries and truths lay here in these shelves collecting dust, only to be consulted once in an aeon. She hooked a right at the end of a shelf and stepped into a cozy corner decorated with a wreath of autumn leaves and some beeswax candles. There was a duo of comfy chairs set up.

'We're getting nowhere with these green elves' Thranduil said.

Just as Turi was about to complain that this wasn't a work meeting, she caught the king grinning at her. This radiant smile of his only too seldom lit up his stunning features. Thranduil was wearing his blonde hair loose, his head adorned with a crown made out of dark wood and red forest berries. His long white fingers were holding a book, which he'd been reading.

Turi smiled back, and threw her arms around her love. Looking into his beautiful face, she remembered the first time they'd locked eyes. She'd only been a youngish elven maiden then and had accompanied her father to court. Turi had admired his looks – his flaxen hair and strong lean built under those impressive royal robes – but also his confident and elegant manner.

Yet the king was equally feared as loved. It was rumoured that he could be contrived and vain, with a preference for starlight gems, rare art and intricate tunics. Indeed, Turi had thought him taciturn and distant.

As time passed and their acquaintance took a turn for the intense and sometimes awkward last year, she'd had to reconsider that opinion. Though some called him cold and reserved, she'd noticed no such thing when they were together.

He'd taken a shine to her, and they'd come close a few times now to expressing their love unreservedly and publicly.

But neither of them had been prepared to deal with the pressure of his public role and the ups and downs that came from working together. Or better, working under his command. Through it all, Turi had always hoped that their love would be enough to vanquish all problems. She trusted him so completely. He was her rock.

Turi kissed his cheek, then they locked lips in a passionate embrace. He sighed and pulled back, looking into her hazel eyes that were full of energy, as usual. Stroking her hair, Thranduil said 'You are my morning star, sweet Turi.'

'But you must be careful around our guests.' 'You still think they are up to no good?'

Thranduil pulled away and started pacing the small space, his hands folded behind his back. 'This ring' he said as he stopped and pushed the book he'd been reading over to Turi. 'The ring of Valar Belain is legend, alleged to grant its wearer the ability to consolidate power and wield it to control others.' Turi looked nonplussed.

'If Talathon obtains this ring he may use its legendary powers to subdue other elves.'

'Pffff' Turi snickered. 'That would never work here. You really think this is another bid by the green elves to influence Greenwood affairs?'

'No, dear Turi.' Thranduil had to smile at her relaxed and easy manner. 'The land of the seven rivers has been in political turmoil for a while now. And we are not as isolated from this as we might think or hope to be.'

Turi hung her head. Indeed, the lady Reinilian's descent upon Greenwood (*) had been an offshoot of the instability in the Ossiriand region. The situation had only been getting worse, apparently. 'Maybe someone taking the lead would be good?'

Thranduil put his arms around her, pulling her close. 'Yes, my beloved Turi. But at what cost? In what way? Magic ensnares the mind, but it doesn't speak to the heart of elves.' He gently ran his fingers from the top of her head over her cheek, down her beautiful pale neck.

'You cannot force authority. Not really' He absentmindedly played with the moon-shaped pendant Turi was wearing. The simple yet pretty necklace had been a gift from her mother, and the facets of the jewel's surface reflected the natural light in a thousand little sparkles on his face.

'Nice?' Turi asked. 'No gem could ever rival your beauty.' He looked so genuine when he said that, it sent an involuntary shiver down Turi's spine. 'Nîn meleth – my love' she smiled.

'Though perhaps those starlight gems are a little prettier.'

Turi jeered and went to pretend-slap him, but Thranduil was much too fast and caught her by the wrist, pulling her off balance and catching her in his arms. They stood like that for a moment, then Thranduil picked her up and walked her over to his chambers.

The floor length window of the bedroom stood ajar and the wind was whistling, unheard by the lovers in the bed. As hot as their embrace was, this wind was blowing cold – an ominous sign of something unwelcome and wicked coming to Greenwood.

(*) See Turi Returns (Thranduil fanfic) preceding this story