Chapter 19

She couldn't believe it. Turi stood there, gawking.

She looked at the beautiful white robe that was laid out on her bed, then back at the silver circlet on the wooden dresser in her room. When she'd trudged back from work that afternoon she hadn't expected to find her place broken into.

But this was not a wholly unwelcome surprise. The richly embroidered dress was soft and light as a feather, its little stones casting a spectacle of refracted light against the ceiling. The little crown was equally glimmering in the summer sun that was pouring in through her open windows.

Then, slowly, her mind settled on it. This bling hadn't just appeared on her bed willy-nilly. There could only be one elf bearing these kinds of gifts.

Just then she heard a soft knock on the door.

It was Bailmeldir, looking all dressed up and smiling mysteriously. Was everyone but her in the know? What was this?!

'You haven't even tried it on yet?' he eyed the glittering robe inside her room, then refocused on Turi. 'The hair might need some attention too.'

Turi frowned, feeling simultaneously confused and curious. Was her subordinate giving her fashion advice now? What was next? She smiled, figuring she'd better get on with the dress if she wanted to find out.

Bra mumbled 'I'll be waiting outside' as he turned and closed the door shut behind him. Really intrigued now, she quickly kicked off her boots and discarded her simple green working tunic on the floor.

Running a comb through her golden hair, she wondered what was up. It wasn't her birthday. Not anyone else's either. Was there a function or a meeting she'd overlooked? Perhaps a delegation they'd have to meet and greet?

The robe fit her divinely, its soft fabric hugging her lean frame in just the right places. Poising the circlet on her long hair she looked into the mirror for a quick last look. Approving, she smiled and made her way out.

'Vanimle sila tiri – your beauty shines bright,' Bra said, ogling his boss as she did a little twirl. Turi let out a snorty laugh as she rolled her eyes. 'Yeah sure.'

'Really Turi,' he said more seriously now 'lle naa vanima – you are beautiful.' She sobered up a bit, detecting a note of sadness in his voice.

'What is this about?' Turi asked. 'Where are we going?' A conspiratorial little smile reappeared on Bra's face as he extended his arm and said 'you'll see.' He gave her a wink, and the two set off together.

Warm air engulfed them as they made their way across the walkways, beyond which a glistening stream could be seen making its way into the heart of the realm. Insects were zooming and the forest was alive with smells and sounds.

The day was nearly gone by the time they reached the central hall. It looked so much better now the foliage had grown lush and thick around it, green tongues licking the structure, and a waving canopy of leaves sheltering the once bare looking space.

Bra stopped and unhooked his arm from hers. Turning back, he gave her a last little smile and nodded his head in the direction of the entrance. Turi was left alone to walk into the hall, her heart pounding.

She trembled lightly as she entered the open space, gazing at the happy decorations of summer flowers that had been set up around the sides.

Something was going down here. Something momentous was about to happen.

Her eyes were drawn upwards to the leafy cover above, where the last of the sunshine was peering through. An incandescent play of light and shadow was cast onto the floor as the summer breeze puffed the leaves in different directions.

Then she saw him.

Thranduil was standing by the edge of the hall, watching her. The warm breeze was stroking his fine features and made his off-white robes billow behind him. He felt his heart beating against his chest. His mouth was dry but his senses sharp, in tune with all that was alive in the forest. And he'd never felt more certain of anything in his life.

Memories of Turi blew through his mind: how he'd first noticed her at court so long ago, and then how she was as part of the internal surveys team, full of energy and ideas. Her cute freckles buzzing around her nose, and her blonde hair a sign of her background about which she knew so little. But he did.

And the way she looked now, inquisitively taking in the place, clear-eyed and determined with every stride she took. He remembered how she'd been assigned as his protector. He'd learned a lot about her then. How levelheaded she was when facing danger, how steadfast her heart. He admired her so much for all these qualities.

He loved her, truly and deeply. That cute laugh, her unassuming manner. Those hazel eyes behind which such an intelligent mind resided. His just Turi.

And then she was standing in front of him. 'Thanks for coming' he smiled as he took her hands in his. 'Why are we meeting here?' she asked coyly, guessing at the occasion.

Could this really be it? Her heart beat fast as she looked deep into his clear blue eyes.

'Gerog i chûn nîn mi i chaim gîn – you hold my heart in your hands. Nin bestathog – will you marry me Turi?' he asked.

As the leaves simmered and they stood there holding hands, beautiful tears welled up in Turi's eyes. But she immediately fought them back. She just wasn't the type to break down and blub all sentimentally, she thought.

Inhaling deeply and smiling at him, she said 'Gin melathon an-uir – I will love you for eternity. Yes, I will marry you.'

He smiled too, and theatrically feeling around his robe he mumbled 'Where is it now? Aha!'

Turi folded double with laughter, remembering the dramatic performance that she had used to trick the green elves and solve the case. Clearly, the story had been retold by now. It felt good to laugh off the tension of this occasion, and she wiped some tears from her eyes.

Thranduil produced a silver coloured ring from his robes, studded with a large starlight stone that sparkled fiercely in the waning sunlight. Turi's eyes widened, and she looked from the ring to Thranduil, and then back.

'The spoils of war, my love' he said softly as he placed the ring on her finger. 'At least not the ring of Valar Belain' she grinned. 'Let us not mention that cursed ring again' he smirked in reply. She cusped his face in her hand and they kissed passionately.

Leaning into his strong arms, she noticed elves approaching from different directions. Blushing, she realized they'd been waiting. And watching.

Turi squeezed Thranduil tightly and joked 'I guess that means no more disreputable acts or sneaking around huh?'

'I hope not,' he said 'because I genuinely love and admire you Turi, for all to know.' They kissed again, oblivious to the elves that streamed into the hall bearing fruits and wine, and chatting excitedly.

The end