Chapter 15

Turi stared at Thranduil with large unblinking eyes. He was lying motionless in a wooden bed with white simple covers, much like the one she'd been placed in after being shot in the line of duty two summers ago.

She didn't move but her mind was raging. They'd finally gotten a break, but the news wasn't good. At least if going on first impressions.

The contents of Thranduil's pockets had revealed one bloodied dagger with a partially serrated edge, no doubt fitting the fatal stabbing wound inflicted to the trader. In addition, he was carrying a nondescript ring that looked heavy and golden.

Coamenel had gone berserk with these new pieces of evidence, insisting there was no doubt about the king's involvement now, until Turi had managed to calm him down and put things in perspective.

To her, these objects looked like another clumsy attempt at incriminating the king. But even though this ring was definitely not the famed ring of Valar Belain, there was no denying that things looked bad. To anyone else, Thranduil would look very guilty now indeed.

Not so to Turi. She was now more convinced of his innocence than ever before. Call it a gut feeling, but she knew that some plot against him must be at work. Or perhaps it was dark forces after all, as suggested by Talathon.

She felt like all the information was laid out in front of her, but she just couldn't make sense of it. This case had as many clues as there were bees in a hive.

A soft knock on the door announced one of the healers. Turi smiled briefly at seeing her mum come in. 'He is getting better slowly' she said softly, then added 'It's terrible what's happened.' Turi nodded her agreement.

Etherel came to her side now, unsure of whether a hug would be welcomed. Turi noticed her hesitation and leaned into her, resting her head against her mum's.

She sighed. 'He will get better then?' 'Definitely.'

'Melinyes, nana - I love him, mum' she said, not taking her eyes off Thranduil. Etherel recoiled, then frowned worriedly at her daughter. 'I take it you mean more than an elf's love for her king?'

Turi nodded. He was still so pale, but Turi noticed the yellow splotches had gone.

'Mum,' she started 'what happened to the yellow marks around his mouth and neck? And on his hands?'

'They simply washed away' Etherel said. 'Actually it's only his fingernails that are still yellow.'

Turi went over to Thranduil's side and took his hand. Indeed, his nail beds were yellow.

'Turns out that's what has caused his current state.' Etherel nodded in the direction of the king's hands. Turi turned in surprise. 'And no one thought to inform me of this?'

Etherel looked wide eyed at Turi, opening her mouth but then closing it again like a fish gulping for air. 'We just found out what it was. The substance I mean.'

'And?' Turi snapped. Etherel frowned at her daughter, a disapproving look on her face. Turi exhaled and dropped her shoulders, softening her posture. 'Nana - mum, please. What was it?'

'Crushed root of Hemlock.'

Turi shook her head in surprise, trying to make sense of this information. 'Root of what?' she said, and then more to herself she mumbled 'how did that get on him?' She tried to imagine Thranduil digging around the palace garden and stuffing mashed roots into his mouth.

Etherel touched her arm softly. 'Meleth nîn – my love, Hemlock is a very dangerous plant. It causes ascending muscular paralysis if ingested.' Turi gaped at her mum. That didn't make much sense. 'Why would Thranduil eat lethal roots?'

Etherel shook her head. 'Well, you wouldn't eat it. It doesn't even grow here.' She paused, frowning. 'Hemlock is usually found in wet soil, along creek beds, irrigation ditches perhaps. But not in a forest like the Greenwood.'

Turi inhaled sharply. Her skin prickled and all the hairs on her back and her arms stood up as she asked 'Does it grow besides river banks?' Her mum nodded.

It was like Turi's entire body was smiling. She grinned at her mum, then hugged her, then smiled widely and hugged her again. That's how good this felt.

Her mum seemed stumped, but Turi didn't take notice. She had finally realized who was behind this. A feeling of intense relief washed over her. She now had to put the pieces together and wrap this up.

With some effort, Turi broke away from Thranduil's side. She slipped out and ran to find her internal surveys crew.

She knew what had to be done, and it would be quite a show.