Chapter 11

Turi was running like a wild hare, her breath steaming in the cold morning air. She had been called up to the palace for an urgent albeit vague emergency. That was all the messenger elf knew. In short, not much.

Bouldering down the walkway towards the main entrance, Turi's breath came is short, hard gasps. What now?!

Rounding the corner towards the throne room at considerable speed, she could hear shouting coming from within the room.

Still panting from her morning run, Turi took the scene in.

Thranduil was pacing up and down in the background, clearly agitated. Talathon was towering over Coamenel, who looked white around the nose. 'So what are you not telling me?!' the green elf shouted.

'What do you mean?' Coamenel replied wide-eyed, doing a good job at appearing as clueless as ever.

Talathon was growing more exasperated and impatient. 'Do you know where the ring is or not? And when are you going to know who killed my trader?'

Coamenel seemed to choke. 'My lord, it's an impossible mystery' he managed, smiling apologetically. Then the commander in chief noticed Turi at the door and side-stepped Talathon swiftly to point at her. 'She knows.'

Great, thanks for that, Turi thought. Talathon went straight for her.

'I've been told there's been a break, but now that isn't going anywhere? I insist you tell me what dark forces are behind this attack. Do you have a suspect or not?'

Turi cringed and fleetingly looked over at Thranduil. She couldn't answer that without casting doubt on the king, who was in fact the one and only suspect they'd had.

Not wanting to give him away, she quickly looked straight ahead and remained dumb.

'Who is it?' Talathon yelled in her face. 'I need a name right now!'

Turi caught him looking angrily at the king, who clearly wasn't going to get involved in the conversation. She cocked her head sideways and squinted her eyes. Could Talathon know that they'd suspected Thranduil? Surely he could not.

She exchanged a quick glance with Coamenel, who subtly shook his head no. He hadn't told.

She was stumped. There was something off about this conversation, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. Trying to recover, Turi was thinking she could perhaps discuss the contradictory forensic evidence with Talathon. Or maybe even invent a suspect on the spot.

'Alright, I have it' Coamenel said, coming back to the conversation. Turi was bewildered. She didn't know whether to feel relieved by this reprieve or worried. Even Thranduil had stopped pacing and looked expectantly at the commander.

Talathon exhaled. 'Finally some answers. If you can pull it together we won't have to inform the grand council of green elves on the home front, who would no doubt send in reinforcements.'

'That certainly won't be necessary' Thranduil said quickly. 'Coamenel?'

The commander in chief winced, then stooped into a low bow and said 'Your lordship, please grant us some more time and we will solve this mystery to your satisfaction. Say, in two days time?'

Talathon smiled, or rather grinned menacingly – Turi couldn't be quite sure.

He bowed curtly at Thranduil and left the throne room with his cloak billowing after him, ignoring Turi and Coamenel.

By the brightest starlight, Turi thought, this deadline really put the pressure on. Unless they could make good on Coamenel's promise the green elves were coming down with their military to start a fight.