Chapter 12

It was still dark outside when the first bird song woke Turi. She rolled over and kissed the tangle of blonde hair next to her, who was still fast asleep. She sneaked over to her tunic, slipping on her boots and straightening her hair back with her hands when she was suddenly tackled by said tangle.

Turi suppressed a startled scream as she fell backwards onto the bed and in Thranduil's arms. He sniggered as they play-wrestled for a moment, his lean strong body on top of hers. Out of breath, Turi finally gave up the fight. His eyes alight, he fixed her with an intense gaze. 'Stay a little longer.'

They kissed passionately, and Turi felt her heartbeat becoming faster. Her hands against his chest, she pulled away from his lips. 'I'm sorry, but I have to leave now. I'd stay, but, hey, looming war and all. Besides, imagine the public shame!'

She giggled, knowing full well that for the king to have an affair was considered bad behavior, but not a crime.

Thranduil's shoulders sagged and he sighed. 'Hm.' Then he looked back at her, a mischievous look in his eyes. 'Be that as it may...' He pushed her back down, his hands moving down her sides. Turi wriggled and yelped in delight. She could feel his hands wandering her body, and soon she would be irretrievably lost.

Ever so tempted, she shook her head and smiled 'Really, I cannot.' As she pushed herself up he let go of her, his eyes still roving her body.

Turi bit her lip while straightening her tunic. 'I hate to do it, but I've got to leave. We are now working on a deadline thanks to Coamenel. And besides that I'd prefer to arrive at the office with my head held high, rather than being whispered about up and down the realm.'

He got up too and took her face in one hand. 'Cormamin lindua ele lle, melamin – my heart sings to see thee, my love.' She backed out of the room waving, before his smile made her change her mind. 'See you later today melalmin – my love.'

Hurriedly scuttling through the hallways and out of the palace, Turi wondered what this really was? Were they just having fun, albeit great fun, or was this to turn into something real? She was already feeling the potential scandal as a reality, anticipating the stress of having to defend her disreputable actions. Still, it was worth the risk. For her this was nothing short of true love, and come what may, she'd enjoy every disreputable moment she could get.

Despite the pressure now being on, the morning passed without any big breaks. Soon it was midday, though you couldn't tell from the grey sky. Turi swept her eyes across scrolls about the mystic ring of Valar Belain, desperate to find any clues. But her heart was not in it.

The Dirs seemed similarly occupied, putting together a map that outlined routes between the palace, the inn, the green elf mansion, the central hall, and any and every other place that seemed relevant to this case.

She munched on some bread and fruits at her desk, mulling over the contradictory forensic evidence again. Taryan, her former partner, had taught her to keep at it even if no solution was immediately apparent. Nothing about this case was immediate or apparent, that much was sure. Scratching her forehead, Turi tried to focus but she felt her mind drift off to the evening when she'd be together with her love again.

The afternoon crawled by at a snail's pace. Just when Turi thought she could take no more and made serious plans to burn the scrolls and dance on their ashes, there was an urgent knock on the door.

Bra opened it to find an elf who Turi identified as part of border patrol. He was carrying an urgent message for internal surveys.

Thranduil had gone missing. The king had vanished, without a trace!