Chapter 5

Drannor, the trader, was due at the mansion in a while, and if ever there was a group of elves anxious to meet him, it was this delegation of green elves.

The mansion had been a hub of activity since early that morning. The group had set up a meeting space in one of the drawing rooms facing the rear of the building, so any surveillance of their business was ruled out. The insolence of being spied on was still a fresh wound in their collective dignity, and they did not require a repeat of the incident.

Certainly not now they were so close to getting their hands on the famed ring of Valar Belain. The bickering factions in their homeland would not fail to recognize this ring as an indisputable symbol of authority. And if its famed magic powers were anything to be reckoned with, this could be just what was needed to bury the elves' differences.

Talathon smiled. He would rule and there would be stability again. He genially slapped his comrades on the back and they exchanged a heartfelt smile. Yes, this could be the start of real peace.

The early afternoon shone a weak autumn sun onto the carpeted floors of the mansion. But where was Drannor? The green elves looked out the window and paced the drawing room. He was overdue now.

It wasn't until late that afternoon that the alarm was sounded.

Thranduil was officially informed that the trader had failed to show up at the green elves' gathering. He subsequently tasked border patrol to check the four corners of the realm, and internal surveys to head up an investigation into what was rapidly becoming a missing elf case.

As hard as it would have been to convince the green elves that their trader had simply gotten lost and no foul play was at hand, it became impossible to settle them down once it became clear that he had not returned to the guesthouse since leaving shortly after midday.

The atmosphere was tense. Turi walked up the stone steps leading to the guesthouse, the Dirs hot in her wake.

She gave her credentials to the innkeeper, who seemed to be flustered by all the sudden attention his inn was getting. Without further ado he showed the internal surveys team up to Drannor's room.

Turi was turning over the possibilities in her head as she followed him up the wooden stairs. In the case of this mysterious disappearance, she could but fixate on one thing. This trader had been traveling with some very valuable goods. What if this was a robbery turned for the worst?

As the door swung open and the trader's leather bag came into view, she exhaled a sigh of relief. The Dirs started going over the room, threading carefully and treating it with all the respect that a potential crime scene deserves.

They made up a quick inventory of the room's contents, including a hair brush with some black hair and leaves in it on the nightstand, the trader's little notebook, and a neatly folded sleeping tunic laid out over a chair.

Turi kneeled beside the leather bag and carefully felt through its contents. There were boots and clothes, including some richly decorated tunics. There was another hairbrush and a fine comb, as well as a pair of gloves and some empty pouches.

An iron band tightened around her heart.

No starlight jewels, no ring.