Chapter 13

'What do you know? Where was he last seen?' Turi spat rapid-fire questions at the head of the palace guards, who looked like a deer surrounded by a wildfire.

He just shrugged and stared mildly panicked at the angry head of internal surveys. Turi was now shouting questions at him without expecting any answers. How this was possible? How the king could disappear when he was surrounded by his guards? What palace guards are really for?

Relinquishing the clueless head of guards, Turi pressed her back against the wall of the palace hallway and covered her face in her hands. She just couldn't imagine what had happened. Why would Thranduil just up and leave without saying anything? To anyone?

Daylight was starting to fail now, and Thranduil still hadn't returned. It was like he had vanished off the face of the earth, seemingly leaving no trace behind.

When she thought about the possibility of the king going some place outside the realm without an entourage or guards, it just didn't fly. Worst-case scenarios were now rising in Turi's mind. Had he fallen down a well and drowned? Had he fled from some threat unseen?

A few moments later she was running down the hallway, barking orders at the troops that had gathered at the palace entrance to join the search.

Units of elves started leaving the place, swarming out in different directions with lit torches. The shimmering of the torches against the failing light made it look like fiery tongues were emanating from the palace and licking the surrounding walkways and shrubbery, then venturing further out into the distance.

Coamenel met Turi at the palace entrance. They headed back inside together to see if there were any physical clues to be found as to the king's whereabouts. They searched Thranduil's private quarters, to no avail.

Turi closed the door behind them, nonplussed. Nothing seemed out of place. No note, no sign of a struggle.

As they marched towards the throne room, Turi ran through the possibilities: Thranduil felt stressed about the threats made by the green elves. He might have taken a trip to Rivendell to ask for advice. Or perhaps he went out for a walk to clear his mind and got lost? No way. Turi shook her head and involuntarily sniggered at the absurd idea of the forest king getting lost in his own forest.

Or maybe he was conflicted about their relationship and needed some space? All these could be possible, but they didn't ring true. On the other hand, could someone simply kidnap Thranduil without encountering fierce resistance from the king? Not a chance.

They pushed open the heavy wooden doors to find the throne room deserted. There hadn't been any fighting, and all seemed to be in place. In Turi's mind, that was a good sign. It now seemed more likely that Thranduil had left of his own will.

Turi checked what was on the side tables, whilst Coamenel perused the shelves. Finding nothing out of the ordinary, he huffed 'I find this really suspicious. Like he just fled' Turi nodded and squeezed his shoulder. 'Let's not jump to any conclusions' she said. But suspicious, this all certainly was.

Climbing the stairs to the throne, Turi couldn't put aside the unsettling thought that Coamenel had planted in her mind. Thranduil fleeing? Was there any reason to? Was he guilty of something after all?

A little yelp escaped her throat when she reached the top of the stairs.

On the throne, for all to see, lay a necklace made of beautiful starlight gems. Turi took a handkerchief and held the jewel up by its strap. She dangled it in front of her eyes for a minute then took it down to show Coamenel.

The commander in chief stared intensely at the necklace, his body going quite rigid. Turi realized he might be having a deep thought – possibly a whole new feeling for the commander.

Balling his fists, Coamenel's lips pulled in a white line. Still, he stared at the piece of jewelry.

Just when Turi was starting to get worried he croaked 'Thranduil did it!'

Turi lowered the necklace with a sigh and rolled her eyes. 'How much more of a plant can this clue be?' she asked. 'If you are going to disappear, run away, what have you, would you lay out a piece of evidence for all to see?'

Coamenel looked at her with a frown, like he wasn't sure what the right answer was. Turi shook her head no, and so did the commander.

This was a clue alright, but rather than offering answers it just threw up more questions. If this necklace had belonged to the trader, how did it end up on the throne? Why would someone leave it there? Who wanted to incriminate Thranduil?

Or was the simplest explanation true after all? Turi hung her head. She didn't want to doubt her king again.

A thought struck her. 'Coamenel, let's not tell anyone. I don't want people jumping to conclusions, and I certainly don't want the green elves to find out about this necklace.'

Coamenel looked at her for a moment, then nodded briskly. She smiled gratefully, knowing he wouldn't tell even if put on the spot, like he had been when pressured by Talathon.

They left the room dark and silent, the necklace safely tucked away in Turi's pocket.