III

Quincy

After seeing the girl from the strip club at the grocery store, I went to my mom's house for dinner. She said my sister would be there, and I hadn't seen her in a while.

I hoped that nothing was going to happen because my sister Courtne ad my mother didn't get along. My mother wanted her to own a business like our dad did, but she didn't want to do that so my mom put her out.

I, on the other hand, went to school for business and was currently working for my dad's company. I planned to start my own business when I got enough money for a business loan.

I walked into my parents' house and was immediately greeted by my sister.

"Quincy! I haven't seen you in so long." She squeezed me into a hug.

"Maybe if you came around more often or answered your phone."

"I'm always busy." She playfully rolled her eyes.

"What could you possibly be busy doing?" My mother asked from the kitchen.

"And I want to stay away from her." She whispered so only I could hear her.

"Could you two come set this table for me?" Courtne and I went into the dining room.

"How have you been?" I asked Courtne setting the plates on the table.

"I've been making it. How about you? You found you a girlfriend yet?"

I smiled thinking about that girl. "I met someone. We're not together yet though. You find somebody yet?"

"I had someone. But he also had a girlfriend and a son. To make it worse, his girlfriend and I work together." She explained.

"Damn, how'd you find out?"

"He told me. He said he didn't want to hurt her more than he already did. We were together for like 6 months. But it's whatever." Out mother came in the dining room with the food when Courtne was done talking.

Our dad came downstairs and everyone started making their plate. When everyone sat down, my mom began speaking to Courtne.

"So, Courtne, where do you work?"

"I'm a waitress at a restaurant."

"Could've owned the restaurant." Momma said under her breath and Courtne rolled her eyes.

"So Quincy, I heard you say you met a girl. Who is she? What does she do?" I couldn't answer either of her questions.

I just shrugged my shoulders. "I just met her."

"Well when are we going to meet her."

"Mom, he said he just met her. Let him get to know her first." Courtne never really thought about what she was going to say before she said it.

Mom looked over at her. She started to say something but quickly stopped.

"Maybe you should stop trying to dictate his life."