IX

Quincy

I walked into my restaurant for the first time in a while since my dad had given it to me. As I walked in, I was greeted by my employees. Even though I hadn't been there in a while, they still knew who I was.

I walked back to where my office was to see my dad sitting in the chair behind the office desk.

"Hey, dad. What are you doing here?" I questioned with surprise.

"I heard you haven't been by here in a while," he confronted. "I don't know how long you 've been seeing that girl you're with, but don't let her distract you from your business. I didn't let you have this place so you could screw it up."

I shook my head. "That has nothing to do with anything. I'm still kind of new to this. You have to give me some time to get into this."

"You need to hurry and get it together. If you loose money then I can't help you get it back. You're grown now, you have to do things on your own."

"I'm here, aren't I? I know what I need to do. I went to school for this, you don't need to tell me."

"Then why haven't you been running your business correctly?"

"I've been caught up with other things. I got this. Seriously," I promised.

"If you mess this up for yourself, I'm not helping you fix it. Don't disappoint me, son." After saying that, he walked out of the office.

I spent most of the day at the restaurant making sure everything was going smoothly.  When I finally got home, I saw Sariyah in her car parked next to my usual parking spot.

I prepared myself for the events that what were going to occur. I turned my car off and got out of the car.

Sariyah stood in front of me and began talking my head off. I stood in front of my car listening to her talk. I moved past her to start walking to my condo only for her to follow behind me.

"Are you listening to me?" she nagged.

"I hear you."

"Okay, but are you listening?" she asked again.

"You keep saying the same thing. I should have been with you and not with her. I hear you," I repeated.

"So what? Are you going to stop seeing her?"

"No," I bluntly stated.

"What do you mean 'No'? So everything I'm saying to you is just going through one ear and out the other?"

"Correct," I said as I got to my door.

"Quincy!" she whined.

"Sariyah, you have to stop doing this. You're making yourself look stupid. I'm never going to be with you. I'm sorry but I'm not interested in you. Stop coming to my house. Okay?" I said trying to unlock my door.

I knew what I said hurt her feelings but she needed to know. There was no other way I could have said that to her.

"Quincy, you don't mean that." She put her head down.

"No, I do. You really need to stop doing this because it also makes you look crazy," I continued.

I saw a tear run down her face. Walking into my condo, I tried to ignore her. I sat down on my couch and heard her sobbing on the other side of the door. She gently knocked on my door. I started to ignore her but she kept knocking.

I sighed opening the door slightly. "Yes?"

"What can I do to make you love me?" she struggled to say.