[8]

I was standing next to Lizzie, underneath the shaded area of the prison. After returning back from my run with Carl, things felt different. This place was lit up with energy. I finally started to warm to the idea that this could be home.

Together Lizzie and I waited to get some dinner. I gazed over at the picnic table by the entrance at the prison. Carl was sitting at a table with some younger kids and was playing with them.

They looked sweet together.

I brought myself and Carl a plate of soup to eat. Hershel had made it with his fresh vegetables, and I was more than keen to eat it. I put the plate of soup on the table with Carl and all the little kids ran away to go get some themselves, leaving us together.

"Was your dad happy with the supplies we got?" I ponder, looking up at Carl from my plate. He nods.
"He's cool. Uh...Do you mind coming with me somewhere? He says. I agree, the two of us handing our soup over to Carol and Maggie at the table next to us.
We walk along the pathway outside. It's dark and the only light is from the moon and the stars. We stop at the gaurd tower and enter it, climbing the stairs to the top.
We stand by the railing, together, peering off into the distance.
"Why'd we come here?" I ask him, staring at the bright stars.
"Because...isn't it beautiful?" He tells me, complete amazement on his face. I tilt my head, smirking.
"Has the cowboy gone soft?" I playfully ask. He shakes his head.
"Only when I'm around you"

I know its so cliche', or the things that he says are almost cheesy, but I honestly didn't care. He was genuine, even if his words were like something out of a damn romance novel.

Catching me by surprise, Carl pulls me close. I wince slightly, my stomach throbbing with pain. Together, we just sway, with the moonlight as our only witness.

"Thank you" I say into his chest.
"For what?" He asks.
"For everything. For this." Because whether he has real feelings for me or not, and whether this could even be 'something', he'd given me a release from all the crappy feelings that I had been feeling lately. He'd made me forget about the people I love passing- and that was worth thanking.

I have the urge to do something completely and utterly out of my comfort zone. I can't fight it, so I stand up on my tippy toes and give him a small kiss on his cheek.

He looks down at the ground, and even in this light I can see him blushing a bright red. Carl lets go of me, moving to sit down at the edge of the gaurd tower. He hangs his legs out, patting the spot next to him.
"When all of this started I had a friend. She was like you, kind and soft. We were the only kids our age at the camp. She was like a best friend."
I frown at him, watching the hurt in his eyes.
"And then what?" I urge him to tell me more of the story because I'm invested. He looks up at the sky, then back at me.
"The same thing that happens to everyone." He softly says.
"I was only young and everything was happening so fast. I didn't realise the tragedy that had happened. I was too confused to understand the friend that I had lost. I've been thinking hard on it lately. I won't let you lose a friend Y/n, not like me. I'd be dumb if I let anyone do that." Carl looks at me and I shy away.
"That's sweet." I tilt my head and connect my eyes with his. We stare at each other under the moonlight, our legs swaying in the air.
He brushes his fingers against my cheek, then places a hand on my hip. He brings me closer and like I'm in a trance I go along. Before I understand it, his lips are on mine.
We were kissing.
This wasn't my first kiss but it was with Carl, so it felt amazing. I wrapped my arms around him and played along.
This felt like fireworks exploding. It was something that I'd heard in TV shows. I never thought I'd et to experience a sensation like this before.
The kiss went on for what felt like hours when really it was a couple of minutes. I convinced myself to pull away, regretting it instantly.
He grinned at me, still looking flustered.
"Did I ever tell you how pretty you are?" he flirts. I nudge him playfully.
" I don't think so." I say, smirking.
"Okay...you look so beautiful right now. You always did. You were beautiful the first time I met you too."
"Such a smooth talker." I scoff, smirking at him "Come on, cassanova, lets get something to eat."