Rhett With Two T's (F)

This is an AU, so no wives, no GMM and they're a little younger.

Link pulled his duvet cover over his face to shield his sleep deprived eyes from the blinding morning sun. 'I must have at least thirty more minutes' he mumbled, his voice croaky and low. He wasn't a morning person, far from it really, but his lazy weekend was over and it was time to go back to his dead end job at the place he despised most in all of LA. Millie's Mythical Café. He hated it, everything about it, the constant never changing smell, the same depressing customers, that ugly painting on the North wall that annoyed him for no reason.

Be that as it may, there was rent to pay and food to buy, so every week day he dragged himself out of bed and painted on that fake smile that said 'hi I'm Link, what can I get you?'. When his alarm rang he began his same old morning routine, teeth, hair, breakfast and go. He left the house at about 6:45 which would give him just enough time to get to work, he only lived about half a mile away and he was a quick walker when he had music to listen to.

It was Monday, which meant Link would be first to the café, giving him the responsibility of setting the chairs out and giving everything a clean before opening time. That's just what he did when he arrived, he got everything organised and made certain his day could run as easily as possible. After that all he could do was sit behind that cash register and wait for the city to come to life. Unless it didn't want to and by a freak coincidence everyone decided to stay in bed, that would be great.

By lunch time things were moving along, there were about six or seven people seated with drinks and various pastries as well as two people in line. 'Coffee...black...one sugar' he whispered as he completed the woman's order and then handed it to her. She replied with a rushed 'thanks' and then she was gone.

Link then moved his eyes over to the last person in line and froze before he could even get out the only words he needed to remember for this job.

It was a man close to Links age, he had dirty blond hair that stood up around an inch or two high, beautiful emerald green eyes and a beard that blended into his hair perfectly. He interrupted Links thoughts when he finally spoke up 'are you gonna take my-'
'Can I take your order?' Link blurted out nervously all at once, his sentence forming into one giant word. 'Erm, yeah can I get a large low fat latte with a pump of sugar free vanilla?' The man stared at him with a look that can only be described as totally creeped out. 'Sure yeah I'll get that for you now, can I take a name?'
'It's Rhett, with two T's'.

Link wrote the name on the cup and came to the realisation that he hadn't even paid the slightest attention to Rhetts order. 'Shit Link, what did he say? Think god damn it. Think.' He continued to stare blankly at the coffee machine for a few minutes before Rhett leaned over the counter. 'You don't remember my order do you?'
He turned his head to the taller man and pushed his glasses up his nose 'what? No, of course I remember.'
'Well then would you care to enlighten me?'

Link looked down at the ground and mindlessly played with the paper cup in his hands. 'Sure, it was the erm medium-'
'Large'
'Yeah large...erm...large'
The corner of Rhetts lips pulled up into a smile as he waited for Link to admit that he had no idea what his order was, he couldn't help but start to laugh as a deep Crimson appeared on Links cheeks.

'I think I'll just get a regular coffee.' Link looked back to check no one else had joined the line and then behind him to make sure his boss wasn't around to see him screw up. 'You don't have to change it, if you just tell me again I'll make it and you won't even have to pay, it's on me.' He rushed out his words trying his best not to stutter or freeze up. 'Honestly it's fine, I'll just have a coffee' Rhett persisted, giving Link a warm smile.

As flustered as he was, Link got on with the order, trying his best to get it done as fast as he could. 'You don't have to rush, I'm not in a hurry and I was actually thinking maybe I'll get a table and stick around for a bit.' Link felt a sort of heat creep up the back of his neck as he listened. 'Yeah, Why so?' He secured a lid to the coffee and held it out to Rhett, 'just to sit and admire the beauty this place has to offer I guess.'
'We're famous for our paintings' Rhett took the coffee and looked around the room for a second before fixing his gaze back on Link, 'yeah sure, the paintings.'

Link started to clean some things up as Rhett made his way over to a table by the window. 'Ok Link that was the worst human interaction anyone has ever seen, congratulations.'

As the day went on he got back into the flow of things, he remembered everyone's orders and only looked over at Rhett about sixty times in a minute, so he was doing well. Rhett had got his laptop out and was pretty distracted, which made Link feel jealous in a weird way. Jealous of a laptop. 'I'm going to have to take matters into my own hands.' He wanted to go over and talk to him, but couldn't build up the courage to even start walking over, so then came plan B'

He got out a little plate and sliced off a bit of the nicest chocolate cake they had, after all who doesn't like cake? He then proceeded to get a napkin and write down his phone number, tucking it under the cake slightly so that the ink was hidden.

He brushed his hair out of his eyes and smoothed down his apron before taking in a deep breath and making his way over to Rhetts table. 'Erm, Rhett?'
He looked up from his laptop and his eyes lit up when he realised that it was Link. Or he really likes cake. 'Coffee boy.'
'It's Link, I just wanted to bring you this, you know because I messed your order up earlier.' He reached down and placed the plate in front of Rhett, smiling and pushing his glasses up as he did so. Rhett didn't take his eyes off of Link as he went to pick the napkin up. 'Wait not yet!' Link blurted out causing Rhett to flinch back 'you have to wait for me to leave'
'What? I was just going to...wait a minute. Tell me you didn't write your number on the napkin.' Rhett began to laugh as Link turned an even darker shade of red than before, 'oh my gosh it was a stupid idea wasn't it' he turned to rush back to the counter, but stopped when a hand gently grasped onto his wrist. 'Are you kidding me? That's the cheesiest and cutest thing anyone has ever done' he pushed Links glasses up the bridge of his nose for him and almost swooned at Links little giggle. 'You really think it was cute?'
'I think you're cute and I will most definitely be coming here more often.'