Merlins Mythical Aquarium part 1 (F)

I've wanted to write something with mermaid Rhett for a while, so lets do it. This is an AU for those of you that didn't know that Rhett isn't actually a mermaid. Credit to chubbynerdybirdy on tumblr for the beautiful art.

Rhett swam back and fourth as kids rubbed their grubby hands all over the glass of his large tank. He'd been told time and time again to smile and at least try to interact with the visitors, but after several months it all became too repetitive and just plain boring. He blanked the crowd of people that surrounded him and instead focused intently on the clock that was hung above the tank opposite him. The big hand was pointing to the 11 and the little to the 3, which meant it was almost time for his show. His heart picked up at the thought of it. All the people cheering for him, the treats he got and most of all-.

His thoughts were interrupted by a high pitch whistle coming from outside, he swam to the surface of the water to be greeted with a chorus of cheers. His trainer, Link, spoke into a small microphone that projected his voice to the audience and Rhett himself.

"I'd like everyone to welcome our aquariums most famous inhabitant, Rhett."

Link gave a short blast of the whistle, which was Rhetts first signal. He swam to the bottom of his tank pushing off the ground as hard as he could and then launching into the air he flicked water onto the audience with his tail. He received a sweet, approving smile from Link and another loud cheer from the crowd.

~

"Once again I want to thank everyone for coming out today and don't forget to stop at the mythical gift shop on your way out, enjoy the rest of your day."

Link waited for all of the people to leave before he came down to the rocks and sat down, carefully removing his microphone and placing it beside him. After a few moment the water stirred beside him and a blond and green head of hair emerged from the water.

"I think that was one of your best shows yet."

Rhett rest his arm on a rock beside Link and looked up at him with a bright smile.

"You say that everyday."

They both laughed as Link readjusted himself to get comfortable, then everything fell awkwardly silent.

"They wanted me to talk to you about something that's happening in the next few weeks"

Rhett noticed that Link seemed sort of sad at the topic on his mind, he'd got to know him well enough to understand when something was bothering him. He attempted to lighten the mood as best he could.

"They aren't relocating me to the octopus pool are they? Because thats a whole lot of tentacle and not a lot of brain right there"

Link didn't even smile, he usually laughed at everything Rhett said. Sighing he ran his shaky fingers through his dark, glossy hair and stared absently into the water.

"They found another mermaid just off the coast of the UK and she's been sold to the aquarium."

"She?"

Link flicked water around with the tips of his fingers, still not making eye contact with Rhett.

"She...she's going to be a part of the new breeding program."

"The what!? She? No, you don't understand...I can't...I'm not-"

"I tried to fight your case I really did, but there's some big companies involved with this and I'm just one man. I'm so sorry Rhett."

Rhett swam into his tank, his heart racing and his blood boiling. He swept  up clouds of sand and screamed as loud as he could until his chest hurt, then with a deep breath he swam back to the surface.

"Link please, I can't help with a mating program, just let me talk to someone and I'll help them some other way. I'll go into the ocean and find another mermaid, I'll do anything please"

Tears started to burn his eyes and he felt a lump forming in his throat, he moved over to Link taking his warm hand in his own and looked up at him with pleading eyes.

"Link I...I want you to know...you're, I mean-"

"Rhett, I know"

Link moved his free hand up to Rhetts cheek and brushed his thumb across his damp bottom lip as he let out a deep sigh and smiled.

"I know"

In one swift movement Rhett let go of Links hand so he could push off the rocks and flick his tail in order to rise himself up. Link followed his movements, supporting Rhett and connecting their lips in the sweetest kiss either of them ever had. Their mouths moved in unison, the world around them coming to a complete stop in this perfect moment.

A perfect moment that was brought to a halt when Link pulled away, a deep maroon blush creeping across his cheeks.

"Tonight, when everyone leaves."

Rhett looked at him questioningly.

"I'm getting you out of here."