Chapter 5 - "Flirting"

We walked by the rest of the strangers in First class to the exit. We got covered in mud and leaves as we crawled through the opening where the door used to be. "Mmm... Fresh air." I thought. We were out, somehow alive and kicking. To be honest, I thought about fate. That took up a solid 2 minutes of time. When I awoke from my daydream, I saw that Alec had started to explore our surroundings. "I'm not very good at geography but, I think we're somewhere in France." "Good job, smart Alec." Really Ebony, that's all you could come up with.

"Ha ha, funny." he said admiring the plane. "I don't think we got properly introduced even though you seem to totally remember MY name." "Yeah, I'm Ebony." I said yet again. "Thanks for what you did back there." he said shyly. "Of course, now what the hell are we going to do?" I asked. "I haven't exactly had a lot of time to think about that." He sat down on a log and picked up a stick. He drew squiggles and flowers but then drew clouds and zigzags. "I guess we'll just have to wait for a rescue." "How long will that take?" I asked (obviously impatiently). "Hopefully, just a couple of hours." He said getting up.

My clothes were ripped slightly and covered in soot and dirt. So were his and yet he was perfect. There was no slit in his lip or bruise shaped birthmark on his cheek like me. He probably thought he had imperfections, as I'm aware most people do, but if he does why can't I see them. I needed proof. My leg hurts, my heart hurts, and my mother died beside me. Alec continued to walk and talk but, I just sat down and cried. I ignored Alec's plan because it was all too much to handle. I looked up for a minute and heard him say something about shelter. He's right. If were going to live we need to act fast and on instinct, so I got up and went to find stuff to help us get through the night.

It was sure to get dark soon, in fact the sun had gone down and the moon had risen with billions of it's children. We had set up a shelter we made with remnants of the plane and peoples luggage we could still salvage. I still felt weird looking through their stuff. We also found some food that we were able to eat/devour. I laid down some clothes to sleep on while Alec got some wood for a fire that we were going to have to start to stay warm. I haven't even been camping before.

We finally got the fire started after 15 minutes of trying and we sat down beside one another. "Busy day." he said. "Yeah, it was a rollercoaster ride." I replied. "I agree," he said "I'm exhausted and hurt." I looked down at his makeshift bandage and saw the blood stains. All I managed to say was "Ouch." I was hurt too. My lower leg might have been sprained or may just have some horrid bruises. I still found it weird he hadn't said anything about my facial deformities. "Hey Alec." I said. "Ya Ebony?" he replied. "Have you like.. you know.. noticed.. me.?" I asked nervously. "Duh, you saved my life. I could have gone unconscious in that airplane and I know your name don't I?" He answered. "Well, ya but I meant my face." "Your face is beautiful the way it is. It's not perfect but that's what makes it lovely." he insisted. I blushed. I had no idea he felt that way about me."We should probably go to sleep in turns. You know in case a rescue shows up." I said. "Sure, i'll take the first shift." he said. "No, you should rest, your exhausted." I explained. "Are you sure?" he asked. "Completely. I want to watch the stars and the nature a little more anyway." I said. "Touche." Off he went into a deep slumber by the warmth of the crackling fire.

"So this is sleeping under the stars." I thought. Breathtaking! The moon was full and shone brightly towards earth. Maybe I missed out. School trips, recesses, playgrounds, the normal child's life. I knew that I wasn't and would never be normal but, sometimes there's times where you want to blend in with the crowd. It was hard to stay awake with layers of coats and sweaters on sitting in the wilderness so empty but, yet so full. Full of life and sleep. Full of chirps from owls and howls from wolves. WHAM! A sound came from behind me where Alec was. "Vous." said a man. "Qui etes-vous?" "Um.. Alec." I said terrified as I shook him awake. "Is someone here to rescue us?" He asked ready to jump up. "Not exactly."