Chapter 7 - Abella

Back at the house, Roi d'echecs greeted us, barked something at Abella in French, and turned to go into his room. "What did he say to her?" I asked to Charles. "um.. He told her to get us our lunch." he said. "I don't believe that for a second." claimed Alec. Charles shooed Abella away and asked us to sit on the chairs. "Do you really want to know where the women are? I fear you might not like it." "Yes, tell us." I said. Charles sighed and started to talk. "Women in this town are seen as objects for labour and work. Wives are sent to work, often in different cities, and send money back for their husbands and children." "How about Lace? Your fiancée?" asked Alec. "Unfortunately." Charles said as Abella came out carrying four trays of food!

I stood up and took two trays from her cluttered, dirty, hands. As I slipped my hands under the trays she winced. "Charles, tell her to put the trays down." I said. After Charles asked Abella to put the trays down she turned to leave, but I stopped her. I took her hand and rolled up her sleeve. She was squirmish and uncomfortable as I could see. I rolled her sleeves up past her elbow. I took her collar and slid it past her shoulder to find a large straight cut. I looked into her eyes and saw only fear so I pushed her sleeve back up and took her hands. I didn't know the words for "Your master is vicious get out of here now. I'll get the others" so, I just looked her in the eyes and tried to communicate through the soul. She actually kind of smiled until we heard a boom come from Roi d'echecs room.

"ABELLA!" said Roi d'echecs. She picked up his tray and smoothed her apron as if preparing for war. As she went in, Roi d'echecs said "Qu'est-ce qui t'a pris autant de temps?" She came out 1 minute later with a bag of laundry and a bin of clothes that said "fer" which according to Charles means "iron". They looked heavy and I wanted to help her, but Alec caught my eye and said "Don't get her into more trouble." I nodded knowing that I could try to talk to her later.

So, it was later. I had no idea how to speak French and I also had no idea if she even would talk or could. She came in with a tray of tea which I took from her and got up to close the door. Out of nowhere I heard "What do you want?" It was Abella; She spoke English. Shocked I replied "um.. To ask you a question I guess." "I won't answer any right now." she said turning to open the door. "You're working for me right?" I asked. "Fine. What is it?" she said. "Who are you?" I asked. "The maid of Roi d'echecs and his guests, now may I go?" she replied. "No really, who is your family? Father? Mother? Brother and sister? Where are they?" I asked. "I don't know who or where my family is." she said nervously. "Well then, why?" I asked. "In this village, little girls are made and given away almost immediately." she replied. "Where do they go?" I asked. "The Echiquier Orphanage for Girls down the street. Is that all?" Abella said. "Yes I guess so." She turned to leave and I stood and said "Don't worry I won't tell Roi d'echecs."

The next morning I woke up to the sounds of the birds chirping. It was a bit like a song. Beauty and creepiness shouldn't mix, but they did so very well until the chirping stopped suddenly. It was strange; like a switch had been flicked. I heard a door close and the metaphorical switch was "flicked on". I put on my beautiful silk bathrobe and went downstairs to the main floor to see Abella. "Good morning ma'am." she said. "It's quite early." "What time is it?" I asked. "6 o' clock ma'am." she responded. "What are you doing up so early?" I asked. "Finishing my 5-6 o' clock chores." she replied. Her clothes were almost covered in dirt and ash. "Do you need a hand?" I asked. "Oh, no! Roi d'echecs wouldn't like that." she said. "Well when does he wake up?" "About 9 o'clock, but ma'am, he will find out." she insisted. "I insist." I said. "If he does find out I will tell him that I gave you no choice." I took the broom and the iron from her hands while she continued to hold the laundry and the "fer"-ing (ironing). We continued downstairs and talked while we worked. Abella is really kind and doesn't deserve the treatment that she gets. It was time to put her suffering to an end.