prologue

"So what will happen if the witches don't complete the Harvest?" the vampire questioned the young witch in front of him.

"Their magic will lessen and then they'll be left with nothing. We just have to keep those girls alive until then," the blonde turned around, picking a wild rose from the river bank.

"But then you'll lose your magic as well."

"I'm the Supreme, Marcel. My magic can't die," Madison shook her head.

"What's the point of being the Supreme if there are no more witches?" Marcel took the rose from Madison's hands and placed it behind her ear.

"The Supreme is recognised in every coven all over the world. I'll be fine," she reassured.

"I love you," he placed a soft kiss on her forehead. "Wait here, I have a surprise for you back in my car."

Madison smiled as she watched her boyfriend walk away, completely unaware of the older witch approaching her from behind with a rock in her hand. Madison fell to the ground after the first blow, blood flowing from her head.

"Please," she choked out, fear evident in her eyes. "Agnes, please."

But Agnes didn't listen to her pleads, keeping only the coven in mind as she struck the girl once again.

"Alright, Maddy, cover your – " Marcel cut himself off when he saw the scene in front of him. "No. No, Madison, wake up. Please."

Tears were in his eyes as he held onto her now limp body. When Marcel looked up again, Agnes was gone, and he had a feeling that she would stay hidden for as long as she could.

The blood that caked her once perfect blonde hair now matched the colour of her lips, and the wild roses that grew on the river bank.