epilogue

The familiar scent of cigarette smoke and french perfume filled the room and Klaus instantly whipped around, his ocean eyes meeting her hazel ones that were now filled with a joy he had never seen before.

"I thought you were dead," he let out a breath.

"You thought wrong," she shrugged.

And from the greatest possible distance, there they were: her with a cigarette between her fingers, and him with his usual angry expression. And then his face softened, and they ran towards each other, like the greatest romance you'd ever seen.

Madison wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. Klaus sighed in relief, burying his face in her hair, inhaling her scent.

"I'm so glad you're okay," he mumbled into her hair. 

"Mom?" A small voice called out, tiny feet shuffling into the library.

Madison pulled away from Klaus and turned towards the young girl who had inherited her father's blue eyes and her mother's naturally brown hair.

"Hey, baby, there's somebody I want you to meet," the Supreme crouched down to the girl's level, motioning for Klaus to join her. "Klaus, this is Hope. Hope, this is Klaus."

"It's nice to meet you," Hope smiled shyly.

"The pleasure is all mine," Klaus held out his hand which she shook gingerly. "How old are you?"

"7."

"7!" He repeated, eyes widening as he looked at Madison.

"Hope, do you remember how I told you we had to go away and leave your daddy behind because there were bad people after us?" Hope nodded. "Well the bad people are gone now."

"Am I gonna meet my dad?"

"You just did."

Hope turned back to Klaus and threw her arms around him, much like her mother had done earlier. A tear slipped from his eye, hugging his daughter for the first time.

"Are we gonna live here now?" Hope smiled excitedly.

"If we're welcome," Madison locked eyes with her ex-lover.

"This is your home, Madison, and you are always welcome."

It felt as if they had spent no time apart as he made his way over to her, placing his hands on her small waist. His pink lips felt the same as they had 7 years ago, if not better.

"Maybe people like us do get happy endings after all," she whispered, leaning her forehead against his.