Chapter Four

Chapter 4

“I saw a girl that looked a lot like you in a convertible this morning.” Rick tells me casually.

Inside I jump, but -I am getting better at this- I show him a pokerface and continue typing on my laptop.

“Did you?” I ask, appearing bored.

“Yeah. She was with this really hot guy, you know.” He leans in.

“Was she?” I ask, undaunted.

“Yeah, she was. And maybe -you know what- maybe, she was dating him.”

“Maybe she was.” I hope I appear unconcerned.

“Oh, stop playing around with me Flo. Why didn’t you tell me you have a boyfriend?”

“Excuse me?” I ask, while continuing to type on my laptop.

“Flo! Stop it.”

“I don’t have a boyfriend.” Now I am just typing random letters, feeling terrified inside.

“Then who did you drive off with then?”

“Is there any point in you repeating ‘then’ twice in the same sentence?” I ask.

“Shit, when are you going to answer my question!” He curses.

“Rick, I walked to school today.” I say clearly.

“Did you?”

“Yes!”

“What are you doing anyway, writing to this boyfriend of yours uh?” He takes the laptop in a swift motion and he is holding it out of my reach.

“Give it back!” I shout trying to snatch it back.

“What the fuck is this?” Rick asks, I don’t blame him. My screen must read something like, “Huguqlcjn;qio3u4bjqgfytcv qghvi ehbhgfu1y ggyqtf ytegqgcbkh”

Ugh.

He hands my computer back to me.

“I was writing to my friend Leslie Valetta!” I snap rudely.

“Oh yeah. Of course! I forgot, Leslie can speak Martian, can’t she?”

“Maybe she can.” I stomp to my room, almost in tears.

I ignore his cry of, “What if she can’t?” and fall onto my bed, silent tears falling from my lashes. I control myself.